Regional Economic Integration And National Financial Supervision. A Comparative Study
The paper analyses the case of some regional economic integration areas in order tofind common aspects concerning the organization of national financial supervision. More exactly,starting from the European Union case, where reforming the European financial supervision systemis an important topic, as well as the reform of the national supervisory frameworks, we extended theanalysis to some other regional economic integration areas (in North America, Asia and Africa).Our research objective is twofold: to look for patterns, if the regional economic integration favoursa certain form of national financial supervision and if, correlated with the level of economicintegration, there is a preoccupation to create a supra-national supervision system. Our resultsshow that there is no correlation between the level of regional economic integration and thestructure of financial supervision.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin CihÃ¡k & Richard Podpiera, 2006. "Isone Watchdog Better Than Three? International Experience with Integrated Financial Sector Supervision," IMF Working Papers 06/57, International Monetary Fund.
- Donato Masciandaro, 2010. "Reforming regulation and supervision in Europe: Five missing lessons from the financial crisis," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 45(5), pages 293-296, September.
- Masciandaro, Donato, 2007. "Divide et impera: Financial supervision unification and central bank fragmentation effect," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 285-315, June.
- Jan Monkiewicz, 2007. "Integrated, Consolidated or Specialized Financial Markets Supervisors: Is there an Optimal Solution?*," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(1), pages 151-162, January.
- Frey, Leo & Volz, Ulrich, 2011.
"Regional Financial Integration in Sub-Saharan Africa - An Empirical Examination of its Effects on Financial Market Development,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011
29, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Leo Frey & Ulrich Volz, 2013. "Regional Financial Integration In Sub-Saharan Africa – An Empirical Examination Of Its Effects On Financial Market Development," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 81(1), pages 79-117, 03.
- Iain Begg, 2009. "Regulation and Supervision of Financial Intermediaries in the EU: The Aftermath of the Financial Crisis," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47, pages 1107-1128, November.
- Phoebus Athanassiou, 2006. "Financial supervision in the Republic of Cyprus: the case for reform," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 14(1), pages 57-69, February.
- Reza Siregar & Willam James, 2004. "Designing an Integrated Financial Supervision Agency: Selected Lessons and Challenges for Indonesia," Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers 2004-05, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Lucia Dalla Pellegrina & Donato Masciandaro, 2008. "Politicians, central banks, and the shape of financial supervision architectures," Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 16(4), pages 290-317, November.
- Cihák, Martin & Podpiera, Richard, 2008. "Integrated financial supervision: Which model?," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 135-152, August.
- Lee, Chee Sung & Park, Cyn-Young, 2009. "Beyond the Crisis: Financial Regulatory Reform in Emerging Asia," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 34, Asian Development Bank.
- Giorgio Di Giorgio & Carmine Di Noia, 2001. "Financial Regulation and Supervision in the Euro Area: A Four-Peak Proposal," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-02, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Masciandaro, Donato, 2009. "Politicians and financial supervision unification outside the central bank: Why do they do it?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 124-146, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:alu:journl:v:2:y:2012:i:14:p:23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dan-Constantin Danuletiu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.