After presenting the institutional construction during the pre-accession and post-accession to the Economic and Monetary Union (EMU), the exchange rate mechanisms (ERM) in several countries and the convergence criteria, we go on with a brief analysis of the way the CEE countries cope with the convergence criteria in accordance with the Maastricht Treaty. Then, the study deals with a topic often discussed in the scientific literature and included on the agenda of decision-makers at various levels, in order to clarify the following major issues: a shorter transition to the euro, the exchange rate equilibrium versus the inflation rate diminution and the Balassa-Samuelson effect, the exchange rates and the exchange rate deviation index, evidences concerning the real exchange rate equilibrium and the appreciation of the exchange rate in the CEE countries.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 004 0232 201070
Fax: 004 0232 217000
Web page: http://rebs.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jürgen von Hagen & Iulia Traistaru-Siedschlag, 2006.
"Macroeconomic Adjustment in the New EU Member States,"
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2006/4 edited by Morten Balling, November.
- Iulia Siedschlag & Juergen von Hagen, 2006. "Macroeconomic Adjustment in the New EU Member States," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- von Hagen, Jürgen & Traistaru, Iulia, 2004. "Macroeconomic adjustment in the new EU member states," ZEI Working Papers B 01-2005 [rev.], ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Frait , Jan & Komárek, Luboš, 2001. "REAL Exchange rate trends in transitional countries," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 596, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Taylor, Alan M. & Taylor, Mark P, 2004.
"The Purchasing Power Parity Debate,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4495, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Egert, Balazs & Drine, Imed & Lommatzsch, Kirsten & Rault, Christophe, 2003.
"The Balassa-Samuelson effect in Central and Eastern Europe: myth or reality?,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 552-572, September.
- Balázs Égert & Imed Drine & Kirsten Lommatzsch & Christophe Rault, 2005. "The Balassa-Samuelson Effect in Central and Eastern Europe: Myth or Reality?," Documents de recherche 05-15, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Balázs Égert & Imed Drine & Kirsten Lommatzsch & Christophe Rault, 2002. "The Balassa-Samuelson effect in Central and Eastern Europe: Myth or reality?," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 483, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Ian Babetskii & Balázs Égert, 2005.
"Equilibrium Exchange Rate in the Czech Republic: How Good is the Czech BEER?,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp781, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Ian Babetskii & Balázs Égert, 2005. "Equilibrium Exchange Rate in the Czech Republic: How Good is the Czech BEER?," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 55(5-6), pages 232-252, May.
- Ian Babetskii & Balazs Egert, 2005. "Equilibrium Exchange Rate in the Czech Republic: How Good is the Czech BEER?," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp267, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Ronald MacDonald & Cezary WÛjcik, 2004.
"Catching up: The role of demand, supply and regulated price effects on the real exchange rates of four accession countries,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 12(1), pages 153-179, 03.
- Ronald MacDonald & Cezary Wójcik, 2003. "Catching Up: The Role of Demand, Supply and Regulated Price Effects on the Real Exchange Rates of Four Accession Countries," CESifo Working Paper Series 899, CESifo Group Munich.
- Égert, Balázs & Halpern, László & MacDonald, Ronald, 2004.
"Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4809, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Balázs �gert & László Halpern & Ronald MacDonald, 2006. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues ," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(2), pages 257-324, 04.
- Balázs Égert & László Halpern & Ronald MacDonald, 2005. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in T ransition Economies: T aking Stock of the Issues," Working Papers 106, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Balázs Égert, & László Halpern & Ronald MacDonald, 2005. "Equilibrium Exchange Rates in Transition Economies: Taking Stock of the Issues," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp793, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Goldberg, Michael D & Frydman, Roman, 1996. "Imperfect Knowledge and Behaviour in the Foreign Exchange Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(437), pages 869-93, July.
- Paul de Grauwe & Gunther Schnabl, 2004. "Nominal versus Real Convergence with Respect to EMU Accession.How to Cope with the Balassa-Samuelson Dilemma," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 20, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584.
- Laszlo Halpern & Charles Wyplosz, 2001. "Economic Transformation and Real Exchange Rates in the 2000s: The Balassa-Samuelson Connection," ECE Discussion Papers Series 2001_1, UNECE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aic:revebs:y:2008:i:2:iancua. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sireteanu Napoleon-Alexandru)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.