Long-Run Implications of Public Debt on Economic Growth
Many European countries faced with large fiscal deficits have adopted great plans of austerity to limit their public debt. In Romania, despite many measures to reduce public sector wages and some social allowances, in the 2009 and 2010 has been recorded only a small contraction of governmental expenditure but a fast growing public debt. However, the main effects of the austerity measures have materialized in a significant reduction in domestic demand and an important reduction of gross domestic product. Also, despite a substantial reduction of supply, the unemployment rate has not exceeded 8% in Romania. This paper aims to analyze how much the policies restricting budget deficit and public debt in Romania delayed the resumption of economic growth. Even the euro adoption perspective impose a stricter management of Romanian budgetary policies and other nominal convergence criteria, the hard core of economic policies must be the reinventing a new path to sustainable growth. It is necessary to conclude a new financing agreement with IMF for the next two years? We also intend to test the tolerance degree of the Romanian economy to public debt expansion (according to Reinhart&Rogoff model, 2010) as reflected in the growth rate of real gross domestic product.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 2(2) (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://journals.univ-danubius.ro/index.php/oeconomica/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2010.
"Growth in a Time of Debt,"
11129154, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Iancu, Aurel, 2009.
Working Papers of National Institute of Economic Research
090602, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Barro, Robert J, 1979.
"On the Determination of the Public Debt,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 940-71, October.
- Andrea F. Presbitero, 2010.
"Total Public Debt and Growth in Developing Countries,"
Development Working Papers
300, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Andrea F Presbitero, 2012. "Total Public Debt and Growth in Developing Countries," The European Journal of Development Research, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 606-626, September.
- Andrea Filippo Presbitero, 2010. "Total public debt and growth in developing countries," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 44, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Talvi, Ernesto & Vegh, Carlos A., 2005. "Tax base variability and procyclical fiscal policy in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 156-190, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dug:actaec:y:2011:i:2:p:83-91. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Daniela Robu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.