Financialization and Structural Change in Commodity Futures Markets
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Irwin, Scott H. & Sanders, Dwight R., 2012. "Financialization and Structural Change in Commodity Futures Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(03), pages 371-396, August.
References listed on IDEAS
- Büyükşahin, Bahattin & Robe, Michel A., 2014. "Speculators, commodities and cross-market linkages," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 38-70.
- Christopher L. Gilbert, 2010. "How to Understand High Food Prices," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 398-425.
- Brunetti, Celso & Reiffen, David, 2014. "Commodity index trading and hedging costs," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 153-180.
- Bahattin Buyuksahin & Jeffrey H. Harris, 2011. "Do Speculators Drive Crude Oil Futures Prices?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 167-202.
- Julieta Frank & Philip Garcia, 2010.
"Bid-Ask Spreads, Volume, and Volatility: Evidence from Livestock Markets,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(1), pages 209-225.
- Frank, Julieta & Garcia, Philip, 2009. "Bid-Ask Spreads, Volume, and Volatility: Evidence from Livestock Markets," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49575, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Luciana Juvenal & Ivan Petrella, 2015.
"Speculation in the Oil Market,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(4), pages 621-649, June.
- Dwight R. Sanders & Scott H. Irwin, 2010.
"A speculative bubble in commodity futures prices? Cross-sectional evidence,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, pages 25-32.
- Sanders, Dwight R. & Irwin, Scott H. & Merrin, Robert P., 2009. "A Speculative Bubble in Commodity Futures Prices? Cross-Sectional Evidence," 2009 Conference, April 20-21, 2009, St. Louis, Missouri 53050, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Lombardi, Marco J. & Van Robays, Ine, 2011.
"Do financial investors destabilize the oil price?,"
Working Paper Series
1346, European Central Bank.
- M. J. Lombardi & I. Van Robays, 2011. "Do Financial Investors Destabilize the Oil Price?," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/760, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Shah, Samarth & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2011. "Electronic vs. Open Outcry: Side-by-Side Trading of KCBT Wheat Futures," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(1), April.
- Bruce Bjornson & Colin A. Carter, 1997. "New Evidence on Agricultural Commodity Return Performance under Time-Varying Risk," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 918-930.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Demirer, Rıza & Jategaonkar, Shrikant P. & Khalifa, Ahmed A.A., 2015.
"Oil price risk exposure and the cross-section of stock returns: The case of net exporting countries,"
Elsevier, pages 132-140.
- Riza Demirer & Shrikant P. Jategaonka & Ahmed Khalifa, 2014. "Oil Price Risk Exposure and the Cross-section of Stock Returns: The Case of Net Exporting Countries," Working Papers 858, Economic Research Forum, revised Nov 2014.
- repec:eee:jrpoli:v:53:y:2017:i:c:p:300-316 is not listed on IDEAS
- Philipp Adämmer & Martin T. Bohl & Ernst-Oliver Ledebur, 2015. "Price Transmissions During Financialization and Turmoil: New Evidence from North American and European Agricultural Futures," CQE Working Papers 3815, Center for Quantitative Economics (CQE), University of Muenster.
- Zaremba, Adam, 2015. "Inflation, Business Cycles, and Commodity Investing in Financialized Markets," Business and Economics Research Journal, Uludag University, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 6(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Demirer, Rıza & Lee, Hsiang-Tai & Lien, Donald, 2015. "Does the stock market drive herd behavior in commodity futures markets?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 32-44.
- Miffre, Joëlle & Brooks, Chris, 2013. "Do long-short speculators destabilize commodity futures markets?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 230-240.
- Sanders, Dwight R. & Irwin, Scott H., 2014. "Energy futures prices and commodity index investment: New evidence from firm-level position data," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(S1), pages 57-68.
- Auer, Benjamin R., 2015. "Does the choice of performance measure influence the evaluation of commodity investments?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 142-150.
- Yin, Libo & Zhou, Yimin, 2016. "What drives long-term oil market volatility? Fundamentals versus Speculation," Economics Discussion Papers 2016-2, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Will, Matthias Georg & Prehn, Sören & Pies, Ingo & Glauben, Thomas, 2012. "Schadet oder nützt die Finanzspekulation mit Agrarrohstoffen? Ein Literaturüberblick zum aktuellen Stand der empirischen Forschung," Discussion Papers 2012-26, Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg, Chair of Economic Ethics.
- Martín-Barragán, Belén & Ramos, Sofia B. & Veiga, Helena, 2015.
"Correlations between oil and stock markets: A wavelet-based approach,"
Elsevier, pages 212-227.
- Martín-Barragán, Belén & Ramos, Sofía B. & Veiga, Helena, 2013. "Correlations between oil and stock markets : a wavelet-based approach," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS ws130504, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Haase, Marco & Seiler Zimmermann, Yvonne & Zimmermann, Heinz, 2016. "The impact of speculation on commodity futures markets – A review of the findings of 100 empirical studies," Journal of Commodity Markets, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 1-15.
- repec:bla:jageco:v:68:y:2017:i:3:p:822-838 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pies, Ingo & Will, Matthias Georg & Glauben, Thomas & Prehn, Sören, 2013. "The ethics of financial speculation in futures markets," Discussion Papers 2013-21, Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg, Chair of Economic Ethics.
- Apperson, George P., 2014. "Agricultural Commodity Futures Market Volatility: A Case for Punctuated Equilibrium," 2015 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2015, Atlanta, Georgia 196760, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Adämmer, Philipp & Bohl, Martin T., 2015. "Speculative bubbles in agricultural prices," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 67-76.
- Yin, Libo & Zhou, Yimin, 2016. "What drives long-term oil market volatility? Fundamentals versus speculation," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), vol. 10, pages 1-26.
- Schalck, Christophe & Chenavaz, Régis, 2015.
"Oil commodity returns and macroeconomic factors: A time-varying approach,"
Research in International Business and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 290-303.
- Christophe Schalck & Régis Chenavaz, 2015. "Oil commodity returns and macroeconomic factors: A time-varying approach," Post-Print hal-01457334, HAL.
- repec:eee:riibaf:v:42:y:2017:i:c:p:912-921 is not listed on IDEAS
- Czech, Katarzyna, 2013. "Speculation in the agricultural commodity market," Problems of World Agriculture / Problemy Rolnictwa Åšwiatowego, WydziaÅ‚ Nauk Ekonomicznych, Uniwersytet Warszawski, vol. 13(28).
- Lehecka, Georg V., 2013. "Have food and financial markets integrated? An empirical assessment on aggregate data," 53rd Annual Conference, Berlin, Germany, September 25-27, 2013 156108, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Dimitrios Bakas & Athanasios Triantafyllou, 2017. "The Impact of Uncertainty Shocks on the Volatility of Commodity Prices," Working Paper series 17-31, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Etienne, Xiaoli L. & Irwin, Scott H. & Garcia, Philip, 2014. "Bubbles in food commodity markets: Four decades of evidence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 129-155.
- repec:eee:jrpoli:v:53:y:2017:i:c:p:135-146 is not listed on IDEAS
- Filimonov, Vladimir & Bicchetti, David & Maystre, Nicolas & Sornette, Didier, 2014.
"Quantification of the high level of endogeneity and of structural regime shifts in commodity markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, pages 174-192.
- Vladimir Filimonov & David Bicchetti & Nicolas Maystre, 2013. "Quantification of the High Level of Endogeneity and of Structural Regime Shifts in Commodity Markets," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 212, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
More about this item
Keywordsbubble; commodity; futures markets; index funds; prices; speculation; Marketing; D84; G12; G13; G14; Q13; Q41;
- D84 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Expectations; Speculations
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- Q13 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Markets and Marketing; Cooperatives; Agribusiness
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply; Prices
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:joaaec:130280. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/saeaaea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.