Food Market Value Analysis: Product Quality Improvement, Product Origin Protection and Timing Decisions in Apple Market
In an effective quality enhancement programme of fruit production and marketing, total quality firms must include consideration of those attributes that are important to customers. In this study the hedonic model is adopted, in order to examine the effects of product quality, region of origin and time of product availability on the price structure determination in the apple market in Greece. Results suggest increased marginal shadow values (customers' interest) for physical product quality and for product origin Â– particularly in the case of Volos region. There is no evidence that out-of-season time is an important factor determining product prices. Further, it is also shown that it is possible to use the hedonic analysis for the estimation of shadow value for some sales quality characteristics other than the physical ones.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Golan & H. Shalit, 1993. "Wine Quality Differentials In Hedonic Grape Pricing," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 311-321.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Brown, James N & Rosen, Harvey S, 1982.
"On the Estimation of Structural Hedonic Price Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 765-768, May.
- James N. Brown & Harvey S. Rosen, 1982. "On the Estimation of Structural Hedonic Price Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0018, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John E. Lenz & Ron C. Mittelhammer & Hongqi Shi, 1994. "Retail-Level Hedonics and the Valuation of Milk Components," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 76(3), pages 492-503.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Deck, Leland B & McConnell, Kenneth E, 1988. "On the Choice of Functional Form for Hedonic Price Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 668-675, November.
- B. Wade Brorsen & Warren R. Grant & M. Edward Rister, 1984. "A Hedonic Price Model for Rough Rice Bid/Acceptance Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 66(2), pages 156-163.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aergaa:26411. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.