Investment Opportunities for the Shrimp Processing Industry in the Philippines: Results from a Hedonic Analysis
The Philippine shrimp industry is beset with production problems arising from disease infestation. With declining production and low per capita consumption, this paper sees the opportunities from value-adding, either by enhancing the shrimp product attributes desired by domestic consumers or from reducing or eliminating the unwanted attributes. This paper used a comparative-statics analysis to estimate economic returns that form the basis for suggesting investment opportunities for the shrimp processing industry. The estimation of economic surplus applied hedonic prices of product characteristics obtained from a previous study. The range of producer and consumer gains suggests that there are broadly three groups of value-adding processes.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: NEDA sa Makati Building, 106 Amorsolo St., Legaspi Village, Makati City,|
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Willig, Robert D, 1976. "Consumer's Surplus without Apology," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 589-97, September.
- Stanley, Linda R & Tschirhart, John, 1991. "Hedonic Prices for a Nondurable Good: The Case of Breakfast Cereals," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 537-41, August.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Duncan, R & Tisdell, Clem, 1971. "Research and Technical Progress: The Returns to Producers," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 47(117), pages 124-29, March.
- Wills, Ian R. & Harris, Jane, 1994. "Government Versus Private Quality Assurance For Australian Food Exports," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 38(01), April.
- J. P. Voon, 1991. "Measuring Research Benefits From A Reduction Of Pale, Soft And Exudative Pork In Australia," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(2), pages 180-183.
- R. K. Lindner & F. G. Jarrett, 1978. "Supply Shifts and the Size of Research Benefits," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 60(1), pages 48-58.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_2000-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.