Freemium Business Models as the Foundation for Growing an E-business Venture: A Multiple Case Study of Industry Leaders
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Christoph Zott & Raphael Amit, 2007. "Business Model Design and the Performance of Entrepreneurial Firms," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(2), pages 181-199, April.
- Kathleen R. Conner, 1995. "Obtaining Strategic Advantage from Being Imitated: When Can Encouraging "Clones" Pay?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(2), pages 209-225, February.
- B. Demil & X. Lecocq, 2010. "Business model evolution : in search of dynamic consistency," Post-Print hal-00572915, HAL.
- Reynolds, Paul & Miller, Brenda, 1992. "New firm gestation: Conception, birth, and implications for research," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 405-417, September.
- Roger L. M. Dunbar & William H. Starbuck, 2006. "Learning to Design Organizations and Learning from Designing Them," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(2), pages 171-178, April.
- Haim Mendelson, 2000. "Organizational Architecture and Success in the Information Technology Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(4), pages 513-529, April.
- Charles Baden-Fuller & Vincent Mangematin, 2013. "Business models: A challenging agenda," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-00869707, HAL.
- Franziska Günzel & Anna B. Holm, 2013. "One Size Does Not Fit All — Understanding The Front-End And Back-End Of Business Model Innovation," International Journal of Innovation Management (ijim), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 17(01), pages 1-34.
- Gans, Joshua S. & Stern, Scott, 2003. "The product market and the market for "ideas": commercialization strategies for technology entrepreneurs," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 333-350, February.
- Kesting, Peter & Günzel-Jensen, Franziska, 2015. "SMEs and new ventures need business model sophistication," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 285-293.
- David J. Teece, 2007. "Explicating dynamic capabilities: the nature and microfoundations of (sustainable) enterprise performance," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(13), pages 1319-1350, December.
- Bamford, Charles E. & Dean, Thomas J. & McDougall, Patricia P., 2000. "An examination of the impact of initial founding conditions and decisions upon the performance of new bank start-ups," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 253-277, May.
- Ardichvili, Alexander & Cardozo, Richard & Ray, Sourav, 2003. "A theory of entrepreneurial opportunity identification and development," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 105-123, January.
- Daniel Birke & G. M. Peter Swann, 2007.
"Network effects and the choice of mobile phone operator,"
Springer Books, in: Uwe Cantner & Franco Malerba (ed.), Innovation, Industrial Dynamics and Structural Transformation, pages 109-128,
- Daniel Birke & G. Swann, 2006. "Network effects and the choice of mobile phone operator," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 65-84, April.
- Henry Chesbrough & Richard S. Rosenbloom, 2002. "The role of the business model in capturing value from innovation: evidence from Xerox Corporation's technology spin-off companies," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(3), pages 529-555, June.
- Kazanjian, Robert K. & Drazin, Robert, 1990. "A stage-contingent model of design and growth for technology based new ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 137-150, May.
- Clements, Matthew T., 2004. "Direct and indirect network effects: are they equivalent?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 633-645, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Anna Ujwary-Gil & Natalia Regina Potoczek, 2020. "A dynamic, network and resource-based approach to the sustainable business model," Electronic Markets, Springer;IIM University of St. Gallen, vol. 30(4), pages 717-733, December.
- Jörg Freiling, 2015. "Business Model Innovation – A Concept Between Organizational Renewal and Industry Transformation," Journal of Entrepreneurship, Management and Innovation, Fundacja Upowszechniająca Wiedzę i Naukę "Cognitione", vol. 11(1), pages 3-10.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Belussi, Fiorenza & Orsi, Luigi & Savarese, Maria, 2019. "Mapping Business Model Research: A Document Bibliometric Analysis," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 35(3).
- Raphaël Maucuer & Alexandre Renaud, 2019. "Business Model Research: A Bibliometric Analysis of Origins and Trends," Post-Print hal-01918188, HAL.
- Sarel Gronum & John Steen & Martie-Louise Verreynne, 2016. "Business model design and innovation: Unlocking the performance benefits of innovation," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 41(3), pages 585-605, August.
- Jarrod Ormiston & Richard Seymour, 2011. "Understanding Value Creation in Social Entrepreneurship: The Importance of Aligning Mission, Strategy and Impact Measurement," Journal of Social Entrepreneurship, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(2), pages 125-150, October.
- Randhawa, Krithika & Wilden, Ralf & Gudergan, Siegfried, 2021. "How to innovate toward an ambidextrous business model? The role of dynamic capabilities and market orientation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(C), pages 618-634.
- Maria Rosa De Giacomo & Raimund Bleischwitz, 2020. "Business models for environmental sustainability: Contemporary shortcomings and some perspectives," Business Strategy and the Environment, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(8), pages 3352-3369, December.
- Daliborka Witschel & Aaron Döhla & Maximilian Kaiser & Kai-Ingo Voigt & Thilo Pfletschinger, 2019. "Riding on the wave of digitization: insights how and under what settings dynamic capabilities facilitate digital-driven business model change," Journal of Business Economics, Springer, vol. 89(8), pages 1023-1095, December.
- Marko Peric & Jelena Durkin & Vanja Vitezic, 2017. "The Constructs of a Business Model Redefined: A Half-Century Journey," SAGE Open, , vol. 7(3), pages 21582440177, September.
- Sarah Cheah & Yuen-Ping Ho, 2019. "Coworking and Sustainable Business Model Innovation in Young Firms," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 11(10), pages 1-18, May.
- Ales Novak, 2014. "Business Model Literature Overview," FINANCIAL REPORTING, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2014(1), pages 79-130.
- Arash Rezazadeh & Ana Carvalho, 2018. "A value-based approach to business model innovation: Defining the elements of the concept," NIPE Working Papers 12/2018, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Harry Bouwman & Mark Reuver & Marikka Heikkilä & Erwin Fielt, 0. "Business model tooling: where research and practice meet," Electronic Markets, Springer;IIM University of St. Gallen, vol. 0, pages 1-7.
- Agarwal, Renu & Mittal, Neeraj & Patterson, Eric & Giorcelli, Michela, 2021. "Evolution of the Indian LPG industry: Exploring conditions for public sector business model innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(4).
- Montserrat Peñarroya-Farell & Francesc Miralles, 2021. "Business Model Dynamics from Interaction with Open Innovation," JOItmC, MDPI, vol. 7(1), pages 1-28, March.
- Matthias Filser & Sascha Kraus & Matthias Breier & Ioanna Nenova & Kaisu Puumalainen, 2021. "Business model innovation: Identifying foundations and trajectories," Business Strategy and the Environment, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(2), pages 891-907, February.
- Jan Abrahamsson & Håkan Boter & Vladimir Vanyushyn, 2019. "Business model innovation of international new ventures: An empirical study in a Swedish context," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 75-102, March.
- Amel Attour & Thierry Burger-Helmchen, 2014. "Écosystèmes et modèles d'affaires : introduction," Revue d'économie industrielle, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(2), pages 11-25.
- Burmeister, & Lüttgens, & Piller,, 2016. "Business Model Innovation for Industrie 4.0: Why the "Industrial Internet" Mandates a New Perspective on Innovation," Die Unternehmung - Swiss Journal of Business Research and Practice, Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft mbH & Co. KG, vol. 70(2), pages 124-152.
- Rahul Kapoor & Thomas Klueter, 2021. "Unbundling and Managing Uncertainty Surrounding Emerging Technologies," Strategy Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 62-74, March.
- Hock-Doepgen, Marianne & Clauss, Thomas & Kraus, Sascha & Cheng, Cheng-Feng, 2021. "Knowledge management capabilities and organizational risk-taking for business model innovation in SMEs," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(C), pages 683-697.
More about this item
Keywordsbusiness model; case study; entrepreneurial venture; freemium; growth; IT; nascent business model;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aae:journl:v:11:y:2015:i:1:p:77-101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://fundacjacognitione.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Anna Ujwary-Gil (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://fundacjacognitione.org .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.