On the Stationarity of per Capita Carbon Dioxide Emissions over a Century
AbstractThis paper examines the stationarity of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions per capita for a set of 36 countries covering the period 1870-2006. We employ recently developed unit root and stationarity tests that allow for the mean reverting process to be nonlinear and take into account cross sectional dependence. By grouping countries according to their geographical proximity the importance of cross sectional dependence in panel unit root and stationarity tests is revealed. Using a recently developed nonlinear panel unit root test, we nd strong evidence that the per capita carbon dioxide emissions over the last one hundred and fty years are stationary. Our nonlinear speci cation captures the dynamics of the emissions time series data more e ectively and we obtain evidence supporting stationarity for all country groups under study.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its series Working Paper Series with number 48_13.
Date of creation: Aug 2013
Date of revision:
convergence; nonlinear unit roots; panel unit roots; heterogeneous panels; cross-section dependence;
Other versions of this item:
- Christidou, Maria & Panagiotidis, Theodore & Sharma, Abhijit, 2013. "On the stationarity of per capita carbon dioxide emissions over a century," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 918-925.
- Maria Christisou & Theodore Panagiotidis & Abhijit Sharma, 2013. "On the stationarity of per capita carbon dioxide emissions over a century," Discussion Paper Series 2013_02, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Dec 2013.
- Maria Christidou & Theodore Panagiotidis & Abhijit Sharma, 2013. "On the stationarity of per capita carbon dioxide emissions over a century," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1317, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- Q28 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Government Policy
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2013-08-31 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-HIS-2013-08-31 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Patuelli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.