Time series test of nonlinear convergence and transitional dynamics
AbstractThis paper revisits the income convergence hypothesis by using the nonlinear unit root test of Kapetanios et al. [Kapetanios, G., Shin, Y. and A. Snell, 2003. Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework. Journal of Econometrics 112, 359-379.]. Out of the 12 OECD income gaps in which nonlinearity has been detected, two cases of long-run converging and four cases of catching up are found.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 100 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ecolet
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bentzen, Jan, 2005. "Testing for catching-up periods in time-series convergence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 323-328, September.
- Kapetanios, George & Shin, Yongcheol & Snell, Andy, 2003. "Testing for a unit root in the nonlinear STAR framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(2), pages 359-379, February.
- Datta, Anusua, 2003. "Time-series tests of convergence and transitional dynamics," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 233-240, November.
- Chong, Terence Tai-Leung, 2001.
"Structural Change In Ar(1) Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 87-155, February.
- Oxley, Les & Greasley, David, 1995. "A Time-Series Perspective on Convergence: Australia, UK and USA since 1870," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 71(214), pages 259-70, September.
- Bernard, A.B. & Durlauf, S.N., 1994.
"Interpreting Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis,"
9401r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Greasley, David & Oxley, Les, 1997. "Time-series based tests of the convergence hypothesis: Some positive results," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 143-147, October.
- Alfredo García-Hiernaux & David E. Guerrero, 2011. "Convergence and Cointegration," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2011-22, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Maria Christidou & Theodore Panagiotidis & Abhijit Sharma, 2013.
"On the stationarity of per capita carbon dioxide emissions over a century,"
KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
1317, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Christidou, Maria & Panagiotidis, Theodore & Sharma, Abhijit, 2013. "On the stationarity of per capita carbon dioxide emissions over a century," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 918-925.
- Maria Christisou & Theodore Panagiotidis & Abhijit Sharma, 2013. "On the stationarity of per capita carbon dioxide emissions over a century," Discussion Paper Series 2013_02, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Dec 2013.
- Maria Christidou & Theodore Panagiotidis & Abhijit Sharma, 2013. "On the Stationarity of per Capita Carbon Dioxide Emissions over a Century," Working Paper Series 48_13, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Qiao, Zhuo & Wong, Wing-Keung, 2008.
"Linearity and stationarity of G7 government bond returns,"
24836, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 08 Sep 2010.
- Venus Khim-Sen Liew & Zhuo Qiao & Wing-keung Wong, 2010. "Linearity and stationarity of G7 government bond returns," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(4), pages 2642-2655.
- Tyrowicz, Joanna & Wojcik, Piotr, 2009.
"Nonlinear Stochastic Convergence Analysis of Regional Unemployment Rates in Poland,"
15384, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joanna Tyrowicz & Piotr Wojcik, 2011. "Nonlinear Stochastic Convergence Analysis of Regional Unemployment Rates in Poland," Review of Economic Analysis, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 3(1), pages 59-79, July.
- Joanna Tyrowicz & Piotr Wójcik, 2009. "Nonlinear Stochastic Convergence Analysis of Regional Unemployment Rates in Poland," Working Papers 2009-04, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Mariam Camarero & Yurena Mendoza & Javier Ordóñez, 2011. "Re-examining CO2 emissions. Is the assessment of convergence meaningless?," Working Papers 2011/06, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Lau, Marco Chi Keung & Fung, Ka Wai Terence, 2013. "Convergence in Health Care Expenditure of 14 EU Countries: New Evidence from Non-linear Panel Unit Root Test," MPRA Paper 52871, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christos Emmanouilides & Panos Fousekis, 2009. "Non-Linear Catching-up and Long-Run Convergence in the Agricultural Productivity of US States," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(1), pages 182-189.
- King, Alan & Ramlogan-Dobson, Carlyn, 2011. "Nonlinear time-series convergence: The role of structural breaks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 110(3), pages 238-240, March.
- Habibullah, M.S. & Dayang-Afizzah, A.M. & Liew, Venus Khim-Sen & Lim, Kian-Ping, 2008. "Testing nonlinear convergence in Malaysia,1965-2003," MPRA Paper 12110, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tunali, Çiǧdem Börke & Yilanci, Veli, 2010. "Are per capita incomes of MENA countries converging or diverging?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(21), pages 4855-4862.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.