Do Inter-Firm Networks Make Access to Finance Easier? Issues and Empirical Evidence
AbstractDoes participation in inter-firm networks make access to credit easier for firms? Is finance a motivation driving the formation of inter-firm networks? During the last twenty years these two questions have been hotly debated by economists both theoretically and empirically. In this paper, we selectively review the literature on inter-firm networking, internal capital markets and access to external credit.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences in its series Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers with number 25.
Date of creation: Jul 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Piazzale Martelli, 8 6012 Ancona
Phone: +39 071 220 7083
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://sites.google.com/site/mofirunivpm/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2009-07-17 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-NET-2009-07-17 (Network Economics)
- NEP-SBM-2009-07-17 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-SOC-2009-07-17 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghuram Rajan & Henry Servaes & Luigi Zingales, .
"The Cost of Diversity: The Diversification Discount and Inefficient Investment,"
CRSP working papers
463, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Raghuram Rajan & Henri Servaes & Luigi Zingales, 2000. "The Cost of Diversity: The Diversification Discount and Inefficient Investment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 35-80, 02.
- Raghuram Rajan & Henri Servaes & Luigi Zingales, 1998. "The Cost of Diversity: The Diversification Discount and Inefficient Investment," NBER Working Papers 6368, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Servaes, Henri & Zingales, Luigi, 1998. "The Cost of Diversity: The Diversification Discount and Inefficient Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1801, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raghuram Rajan & Henri Servaes & Luigi Zingales, . "The Cost of Diversity: The Diversification Discount and Inefficient Investment," CRSP working papers 357, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Lubomir Lizal & Jan Svejnar, 2001.
"Investment, Credit Rationing and the Soft Budget Constraint: Evidence from Czech Panel Data,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
363, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Lubomír Lízal & Jan Svejnar, 2002. "Investment, Credit Rationing, And The Soft Budget Constraint: Evidence From Czech Panel Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 353-370, May.
- Christa Hainz, 2007.
"Business Groups in Emerging Markets: Financial Control and Sequential Investments,"
Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE),
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 163(2), pages 336-355, June.
- Hainz, Christa, 2006. "Business Groups in Emerging Markets - Financial Control and Sequential Investment," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 124, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Christa Hainz, 2006. "Business Groups in Emerging Markets – Financial Control and Sequential Investment," CESifo Working Paper Series 1763, CESifo Group Munich.
- Columba, Francesco & Leonardo, Gambacorta & Paolo Emilio, Mistrulli, 2008. "Firms as monitor of other firms: mutual guarantee institutions and SME finance," MPRA Paper 14032, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Claudio Piga, 2002. "Debt and Firms' Relationships: The Italian Evidence," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 267-282, May.
- Bruder, Jana & Neuberger, Doris & Räthke-Döppner, Solvig, 2008. "Financial constraints of ethnic entrepreneurship: Evidence from Germany," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 84, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- GAUTIER, Axel & HAMADI, Malika, .
"Internal capital market efficiency of Belgian holding companies,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1842, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- GAUTIER, Axel & HAMADI, Malika, 2004. "Internal capital market efficiency of Belgian holding companies," CORE Discussion Papers 2004086, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Axel, GAUTIER & Malika, HAMADI, 2005. "Internal Capital Market Efficiency of Belgian Holding Companies," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2004037, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Busetta, Giovanni & Presbitero, Andrea F., 2008.
"Confidi, Piccole Imprese E Banche: Un'Analisi Empirica
[Mutual Loan-Guarantee Societies, Small Firms and Banks: An Empirical Investigation]," MPRA Paper 7832, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gopalan, Radhakrishnan & Nanda, Vikram & Seru, Amit, 2007. "Affiliated firms and financial support: Evidence from Indian business groups," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 759-795, December.
- Daniel Aaronson & Raphael Bostic & Paul Huck & Robert Townsend, 2000.
"Supplier relationships and small business use of trade credit,"
Working Paper Series
WP-00-28, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Aaronson, Daniel & Bostic, Raphael W. & Huck, Paul & Townsend, Robert, 2004. "Supplier relationships and small business use of trade credit," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 46-67, January.
- Paolo Finaldi Russo & Paola Rossi, 2001. "Credit constraints in Italian industrial districts," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(11), pages 1469-1477.
- Manos, Ronny & Murinde, Victor & Green, Christopher J., 2007. "Leverage and business groups: Evidence from Indian firms," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 443-465.
- Giovanni BUSETTA & Alberto ZAZZARO, 2006. "Mutual Loan-Guarantee Societies in Credit Markets with Adverse Selection: Do They Act as a Sorting Device?," Working Papers 273, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Scalera, Domenico & Zazzaro, Alberto, 2001. "Group reputation and persistent (or permanent) discrimination in credit markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4-5), pages 483-496, December.
- Bianco, Magda & Nicodano, Giovanna, 2006. "Pyramidal groups and debt," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 937-961, May.
- Silva, Francisca & Majluf, Nicolas & Paredes, Ricardo D., 2006. "Family ties, interlocking directors and performance of business groups in emerging countries: The case of Chile," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 315-321, March.
- Alberto Zazzaro, 2011. "The Costs of Inter-Firm Networks," QA - Rivista dell'Associazione Rossi-Doria, Associazione Rossi Doria, issue 4, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.