Dynamics of Capital Structure: The Case of Korean Listed Manufacturing Companies
Abstractfirms is developed in this paper and results compared with the classical static model. This paper specifies and estimates the unobservable optimal capital structure using a wide range of observable determinants. Uunbalanced panel data of Korean listed firms for the period 1985 to 2002 is used in this study. In addition to identification and estimation of the effects of the determinants of capital structure and capital structure optimality, some Korea-specific features such as the structural break before and after the financial crisis, as well as affiliation to a chaebol business groups, are taken into account to verify whether the optimal capital structure was affected by the financial crisis or whether belonging to a chaebol has any effect, and if so, to what extent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Ratio Institute in its series Ratio Working Papers with number 93.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 25 Apr 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Ratio Institute, P.O. Box 5095, SE-102 42 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: 08-441 59 00
Fax: 08-441 59 29
Web page: http://www.ratio.se/
More information through EDIRC
Capital structure; debt; firm; panel data; adjustment; Korea;
Other versions of this item:
- Hyesung Kim & Almas Heshmati & Dany Aoun, 2006. "Dynamics of Capital Structure: The Case of Korean Listed Manufacturing Companies ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 20(3), pages 275-302, 09.
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-04-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2006-04-29 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2006-04-29 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-SEA-2006-04-29 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stulz, ReneM., 1990. "Managerial discretion and optimal financing policies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 3-27, July.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jong-Wha Lee, 1999. "Credit Allocation and Financial Crisis in Korea," IMF Working Papers 99/20, International Monetary Fund.
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-92, July.
- Banerjee, Saugata & Heshmati, Almas & Wihlborg, Clas, 1999. "The Dynamics of Capital Structure," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 333, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 12 May 2000.
- Vilasuso, Jon & Minkler, Alanson, 2001. "Agency costs, asset specificity, and the capital structure of the firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 55-69, January.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2001. "The Dynamics of Capital Structure: Evidence from Swedish Micro and Small Firms," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 0440, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Bongini, Paola & Ferri, Giovanni & Hahm, Hongjoo, 2000. "Corporate Bankruptcy in Korea: Only the Strong Survive?," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 35(4), pages 31-50, November.
- Demirguc - Kunt, Asli & Maksimovic, Vojislav & DEC, 1994. "Capital structures in developing countries : evidence from ten countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1320, The World Bank.
- Lee, Jong-Wha, 1996. " Government Interventions and Productivity Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 391-414, September.
- Cressy, Robert & Olofsson, Christer, 1997. " European SME Financing: An Overview," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 87-96, April.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995.
" What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-60, December.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994. "What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," NBER Working Papers 4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harris, Milton & Raviv, Artur, 1991. " The Theory of Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(1), pages 297-355, March.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Jalilvand, Abolhassan & Harris, Robert S, 1984. " Corporate Behavior in Adjusting to Capital Structure and Dividend Targets: An Econometric Study," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 127-45, March.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Fabio Braggion & Lawrence J. Christiano & Jorge Roldos, 2007.
"Optimal Monetary Policy in a 'Sudden Stop',"
NBER Working Papers
13254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ibrahimo, M.V. & Barros, C.P., 2009.
"Relevance or irrelevance of capital structure?,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 473-479, March.
- Almas Heshmati & Hyesung Kim, 2011. "The R&D and productivity relationship of Korean listed firms," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 125-142, October.
- Khaled Ba-Abbad & Nurwati Ashikkin Ahmad-Zaluki, 2012. "The Determinants of Capital Structure of Qatari Listed Companies," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 2(2), pages 93-108, April.
- Oh, Donghyun & Heshmati, Almas & Lööf, Hans, 2009.
"Total Factor Productivity of Korean Manufacturing Industries: Comparison of Competing Models with Firm-Level Data,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation
201, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Dong-hyun Oh & Almas Heshmati & Hans Loof, 2009. "Total Factor Productivity of Korean Manufacturing Industries: Comparison of Competing Models with Firm-Level Data," TEMEP Discussion Papers 200922, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Nov 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martin Korpi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.