Total Factor Productivity of Korean Manufacturing Industries: Comparison of Competing Models with Firm-Level Data
AbstractThis paper presents the parametric estimation of the rates of technical change and total factor productivity (TFP) growth of 7,462 Korean manufacturing firms for the period 1987 to 2007. Two alternative formulations of technical change measured by the time trend and the general index approaches are estimated with panel data models assuming flexible functional forms. Several extensions of each approach are also onsidered and their benefits and limitations are discussed. In addition to making estimates of the TFP growth and its decomposition, the paper compares the parametric TFP growth measure with the non-parametric Solow residual serving as a benchmark. Several hypotheses related to technology level, firm sizes, industrial sectors, skill biased technological change and macroeconomic and industrial policies are tested to explain the growth patterns and heterogeneity in technical change, input biases and TFP growth rates. Using second regression analysis, the paper explores the determinants of TFP growth and their policy implications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP) in its series TEMEP Discussion Papers with number 200922.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2009
Date of revision: Nov 2009
Total factor productivity; technical change; manufacturing industry; determinants of growth;
Other versions of this item:
- Oh, Donghyun & Heshmati, Almas & Lööf, Hans, 2014. "Total factor productivity of Korean manufacturing industries: Comparison of competing models with firm-level data," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 25-36.
- Oh, Donghyun & Heshmati, Almas & Lööf, Hans, 2009. "Total Factor Productivity of Korean Manufacturing Industries: Comparison of Competing Models with Firm-Level Data," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies 201, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2010-04-17 (Business Economics)
- NEP-EFF-2010-04-17 (Efficiency & Productivity)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1996.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(4), pages 724-46, August.
- Nickell, S.J., 1993. "Competition and Crporate Performance," Economics Series Working Papers 99155, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Stephen Nickell, 1993. "Competition and Corporate Performance," CEP Discussion Papers, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE dp0182, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Feng-Cheng Fu & Chu-Ping Vijverberg & Yong-Sheng Chen, 2008. "Productivity and efficiency of state-owned enterprises in China," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 249-259, June.
- Kneller, Richard & Andrew Stevens, Philip, 2003. "The specification of the aggregate production function in the presence of inefficiency," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 223-226, November.
- Stevenson, Rodney E., 1980. "Likelihood functions for generalized stochastic frontier estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 57-66, May.
- Kim, Hyesung & Heshmati, Almas & Aoun, Dany, 2006.
"Dynamics of Capital Structure: The Case of Korean Listed Manufacturing Companies,"
Ratio Working Papers, The Ratio Institute
93, The Ratio Institute.
- Hyesung Kim & Almas Heshmati & Dany Aoun, 2006. "Dynamics of Capital Structure: The Case of Korean Listed Manufacturing Companies ," Asian Economic Journal, East Asian Economic Association, East Asian Economic Association, vol. 20(3), pages 275-302, 09.
- Kang, Jae-Won & Heshmati, Almas & Choi, Gyong-Gyu, 2006. "The Effect of Credit Guarantees on Survival and Performance of SMEs in Korea," Ratio Working Papers, The Ratio Institute 92, The Ratio Institute.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181, October.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998.
"Research, Innovation, and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level,"
NBER Working Papers
6696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairessec, 1998. "Research, Innovation And Productivi[Ty: An Econometric Analysis At The Firm Level," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-158.
- Bruno Crépon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation and Productivity : An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," Working Papers, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique 98-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Robert L. Basmann & Michael McAleer & Daniel Slottje, 2003.
"Patent Activity and Technical Change,"
CIRJE F-Series, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo
CIRJE-F-217, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Robert L. Basmann & Michael McAleer & Daniel Slottje, 2007. "Patent Activity and Technical Change," DEA Working Papers, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'EconomÃa Aplicada 27, Universitat de les Illes Balears, Departament d'Economía Aplicada.
- Mahadevan, Renuka & Kalirajan, Kali, 2000. "Singapore's Manufacturing Sector's TFP Growth: A Decomposition Analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 828-839, December.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1988. "A General Index of Technical Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 20-41, February.
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Klinedinst, Mark & Linvill, Carl B., 1998. "Static and Dynamic Productivity among Yugoslav Enterprises: Components and Correlates," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 805-821, December.
- Jung, Yojin, 1991. "Multinationality and profitability," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 179-187, September.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989.
"Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels,"
Working Papers, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University
89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990. "Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Heshmati, Almas, 2002. "Productivity measurement in Swedish departments of gynecology and obstetrics," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 315-336, September.
- Kim, Euysung, 2006. "The impact of family ownership and capital structures on productivity performance of Korean manufacturing firms: Corporate governance and the "chaebol problem"," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 209-233, June.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph, 1980. "Industrial Structure and the Nature of Innovative Activity," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 90(358), pages 266-93, June.
- Harris, Christopher & Howitt, Peter & Vickers, John & Aghion, Philippe, 2001. "Competition, Imitation and Growth with Step-by-Step Innovation," Scholarly Articles 12375013, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Kutsuna, Kenji & Okamura, Hideo & Cowling, Marc, 2002. "Ownership structure pre- and post-IPOs and the operating performance of JASDAQ companies," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 163-181, April.
- Kurt Dopfer & John Foster & Jason Potts, 2004. "Micro-meso-macro," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 263-279, 07.
- Youngil Lim, 1999. "Technology and Productivity: The Korean Way of Learning and Catching Up," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262122219, December.
- Aghion, Philippe, et al, 2001. "Competition, Imitation and Growth with Step-by-Step Innovation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(3), pages 467-92, July.
- Boone, Jan, 2001. "Intensity of competition and the incentive to innovate," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 705-726, April.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Kai Sun, 2012. "Estimation of TFP growth: a semiparametric smooth coefficient approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 1-24, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jorn Altmann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.