Investment-cash flow sensitivity and financing constraints: New evidence from Indian business group firms
AbstractA controversy exists on the use of the investment-cash flow sensitivity as a measure of financing constraints of firms. We re-examine this controversy by analyzing firms affiliated to Indian business groups. We find a strong investment-cash flow sensitivity for both group-affiliated and independent firms, but no significant difference in the sensitivity between them. Additional tests consistently demonstrate that investment-cash flow sensitivity of Indian group affiliated firms is not significantly lower relative to unaffiliated firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multinational Financial Management.
Volume (Year): 21 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/mulfin
Investments Cash flows Financing constraints Business groups India;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kato, Hideaki Kiyoshi & Loewenstein, Uri & Tsay, Wenyuh, 2002. "Dividend policy, cash flow, and investment in Japan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 443-473, September.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Laeven, L. & Maksimovic, V., 2006.
"The determinants of financing obstacles,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4295079, Tilburg University.
- Marianne Bertrand & Paras Mehta & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002.
"Ferreting Out Tunneling: An Application To Indian Business Groups,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 121-148, February.
- Marianne Bertrand & Paras Mehta & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2000. "Ferreting Out Tunneling: An Application to Indian Business Groups," NBER Working Papers 7952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tarun Khanna & Krishna Palepu, 2000. "Is Group Affiliation Profitable in Emerging Markets? An Analysis of Diversified Indian Business Groups," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 867-891, 04.
- Bond, Stephen & Meghir, Costas, 1994.
"Dynamic Investment Models and the Firm's Financial Policy,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 197-222, April.
- Stephen Bond & Costas Meghir, 1990. "Dynamic Investment Models and the Firm's Financial Policy," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0013, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
- Timothy Erickson & Toni M. Whited, 2006.
"On the Accuracy of Different Measures of Q,"
Financial Management Association, vol. 35(3), Autumn.
- Cleary, Sean & Povel, Paul & Raith, Michael, 2007.
"The U-Shaped Investment Curve: Theory and Evidence,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 42(01), pages 1-39, March.
- Sean Cleary & Paul Povel & Michael Raith, 2003. "The U-shaped Investment Curve: Theory and Evidence," Finance 0311010, EconWPA.
- Cleary, Sean & Povel, Paul E M & Raith, Michael, 2004. "The U-Shaped Investment Curve: Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 4206, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bhaduri, Saumitra N., 2005. "Investment, financial constraints and financial liberalization: Some stylized facts from a developing economy, India," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 704-718, August.
- Goergen, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2000.
"Investment Policy, Internal Financing and ownership Concentration in the UK,"
2000-116, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Goergen, Marc & Renneboog, Luc, 2001. "Investment policy, internal financing and ownership concentration in the UK," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 257-284, September.
- George, R. & Kabir, M.R. & Douma, S.W., 2004.
"Business Groups and Profit Redistribution: A Boon or Bane for Firms,"
2004-124, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- George, Rejie & Kabir, Rezaul, 2008. "Business groups and profit redistribution: A boon or bane for firms?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(9), pages 1004-1014, September.
- Stephen Bond & Julie Elston & Jacques Mairesse & Benoit Mulkay, 1997.
"Financial Factors and Investment in Belgium, France, Germany and the UK:A Comparison Using Company Panel Data,"
NBER Working Papers
5900, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steve Bond & Julie Elston & Jacques Mairesse & Benoit Mulkay, 1997. "Financial factors and investment in Belgium, France, German and the UK: A comparison using company panel data," IFS Working Papers W97/08, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Stephen Bond & Julie Ann Elston & Jacques Mairesse & Benoît Mulkay, 1999. "Financial Factors and Investment in Belgium, France, Germany and the UK : A Comparison using Company Panel Data," Working Papers 99-64, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989.
"Corporate structure, liquidity, and investment: evidence from Japanese industrial groups,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1991. "Corporate Structure, Liquidity, and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Industrial Groups," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 106(1), pages 33-60, February.
- Gopalan, Radhakrishnan & Nanda, Vikram & Seru, Amit, 2007. "Affiliated firms and financial support: Evidence from Indian business groups," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 759-795, December.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2006. "Did financial liberalization ease financing constraints? Evidence from Indian firm-level data," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 176-190, June.
- Tarun Khanna & Krishna Palepu, 2005. "The Evolution of Concentrated Ownership in India: Broad Patterns and a History of the Indian Software Industry," NBER Chapters, in: A History of Corporate Governance around the World: Family Business Groups to Professional Managers, pages 283-324 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Perotti, Enrico C. & Gelfer, Stanislav, 2001. "Red barons or robber barons? Governance and investment in Russian financial-industrial groups," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(9), pages 1601-1617, October.
- Cleary, Sean, 2006. "International corporate investment and the relationships between financial constraint measures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1559-1580, May.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj & Khanna, Tarun, 1998. "The Nature of Diversified Business Groups: A Research Design and Two Case Studies," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 35-61, March.
- Sean Cleary, 1999. "The Relationship between Firm Investment and Financial Status," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 673-692, 04.
- Degryse, Hans & de Jong, Abe, 2006. "Investment and internal finance: Asymmetric information or managerial discretion?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 125-147, January.
- Shen, Chung-Hua & Wang, Chien-An, 2005. "Does bank relationship matter for a firm's investment and financial constraints? The case of Taiwan," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 163-184, March.
- Ferris, Stephen P. & Kumar, Raman & Sarin, Atulya, 1995. "The role of corporate groupings in controlling agency conflicts: The case of keiretsu," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 3(2-3), pages 319-335, July.
- Kadapakkam, Palani-Rajan & Kumar, P. C. & Riddick, Leigh A., 1998. "The impact of cash flows and firm size on investment: The international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 293-320, March.
- Gautam, Vikash, 2011. "Evidence on the dynamics of investment-cash flow sensitivity," MPRA Paper 35431, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2011.
- Christian Arndt & Claudia Buch & Anselm Mattes, 2009. "Barriers to Internationalization: Firm-Level Evidence from Germany," IAW Discussion Papers 52, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.