The use of monthly indicators to forecast quarterly GDP in the short run: an application to the G7 countries
AbstractThe delayed release of the National Account data for GDP is an impediment to the early understanding of the economic situation. In the short run, this information gap may be at least partially eliminated by bridge models (BM) which exploit the information content of timely updated monthly indicators. In this paper we examine the forecasting ability of BM for GDP growth in the G7 countries and compare their performance to that of univariate and multivariate statistical benchmark models. We run four alternative one-quarter-ahead forecasting experiments to assess BM performance in situations as close as possible to the actual forecasting activity. BM are estimated for GDP both for single countries (USA, Japan, Germany, France, UK, Italy and Canada), and area-wide (G7, European Union, and Euro area). BM forecasting ability is always superior to that of benchmark models, provided that at least some monthly indicator data are available over the forecasting horizon. Copyright Â© 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Forecasting.
Volume (Year): 26 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/2966
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Klaus Wohlrabe, 2009. "Makroökonomische Prognosen mit gemischten Frequenzen," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 62(21), pages 22-33, November.
- Fabio Busetti & Juri Marcucci & Giovanni Veronese, 2009.
"Comparing forecast accuracy: A Monte Carlo investigation,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
723, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Busetti, Fabio & Marcucci, Juri, 2013. "Comparing forecast accuracy: A Monte Carlo investigation," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 13-27.
- Schneider, Martin & CervenÃ¡, Marianna, 2010. "Working Paper 163," Working Papers y::i:163:b:1, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- A. Girardi & R. Golinelli & C. Pappalardo, 2014. "The Role of Indicator Selection in Nowcasting Euro Area GDP in Pseudo Real Time," Working Papers wp919, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Golinelli, Roberto & Parigi, Giuseppe, 2008. "Real-time squared: A real-time data set for real-time GDP forecasting," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 368-385.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2012.
"Assessing the Real-Time Informational Content of Macroeconomic Data Releases for Now-/Forecasting GDP: Evidence for Switzerland,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 232(4), pages 429-444, July.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2010. "Assessing the Real-Time Informational Content of Macroeconomic Data Releases for Now-/Forecasting GDP: Evidence for Switzerland," KOF Working papers 10-251, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Boriss Siliverstovs & Konstantin A. Kholodilin, 2010. "Assessing the Real-Time Informational Content of Macroeconomic Data Releases for Now-/Forecasting GDP: Evidence for Switzerland," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 970, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- repec:ecb:ecbwps:20111428 is not listed on IDEAS
- Antipa, P. & Barhoumi, K. & Brunhes-Lesage, V. & Darné, O., 2012.
"Nowcasting German GDP: A comparison of bridge and factor models,"
401, Banque de France.
- Antipa, Pamfili & Barhoumi, Karim & Brunhes-Lesage, Véronique & Darné, Olivier, 2012. "Nowcasting German GDP: A comparison of bridge and factor models," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 864-878.
- Oliver Hülsewig & Johannes Mayr & Stéphane Sorbe, 2007. "Assessing the Forecast Properties of the CESifo World Economic Climate Indicator: Evidence for the Euro Area," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 46, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Lombardi, Marco J. & Maier, Philipp, 2011. "Forecasting economic growth in the euro area during the Great Moderation and the Great Recession," Working Paper Series 1379, European Central Bank.
- Claudia Godbout & Marco J. Lombardi, 2012.
"Short-Term Forecasting of the Japanese Economy Using Factor Models,"
12-7, Bank of Canada.
- Godbout, Claudia & Lombardi, Marco J., 2012. "Short-term forecasting of the Japanese economy using factor models," Working Paper Series 1428, European Central Bank.
- Brunhes-Lesage, Véronique & Darné, Olivier, 2012. "Nowcasting the French index of industrial production: A comparison from bridge and factor models," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2174-2182.
- Hamid Baghestani, 2009. "Evaluating random walk forecasts of exchange rates," Studies in Economics and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 171-181, August.
- Anna Norin, 2011. "Nowcasting of the Gross Regional Product," ERSA conference papers ersa10p768, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.