Consumer Sentiment and Economic Activity: A Cross Country Comparison
AbstractThe objective of this article is to reassess the validity of the consumer confidence (or sentiment) indices in anticipating the evolution of economic activity by considering a fairly high number of countries across the world (i.e. France, Germany, Italy, UK, USA, Japan, Canada and Australia) over a period of about thirty years, from the beginning of the seventies till the end of 2002 (quarterly data). To our knowledge this is the first attempt to analyse the consumer confidence index for several countries over such a long period of time. We model the CSIoutput relationship in a cointegrated vector autoregression (VAR) framework, by considering a common set of variables for all countries. Our findings suggest that: (a) what appears to be the main driving forces of consumer confidence cannot be simply summarised on the basis of ...
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by OECD Publishing,CIRET in its journal Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis.
Volume (Year): 2004 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Consumer sentiment; GDP indicator; In- and out-of-sample forecasting ability;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bahram Adrangi & Joseph Macri, 2011. "Consumer Confidence and Aggregate Consumption Expenditures in the United States," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 1, pages 1-18, February.
- Rossi, José Luiz J. & Laban, Sílvio A. Neto & Claro, Danny Pimentel & Bolzani, Luciana Corrêa, 2009. "Índice de Confiança do Empresário de Pequenos e Médios Negócios no Brasil (IC-PMN): Desenvolvimento e Consolidação," Insper Working Papers wpe_191, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Jiri Slacalek & Martin Sommer, 2011.
"International Evidence on Sticky Consumption Growth,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 93(4), pages 1135-1145, November.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Jiri Slacalek & Martin Sommer, 2008. "International Evidence On Sticky Consumption Growth," Economics Working Paper Archive 542, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Carroll, Christopher D. & Slacalek, Jiri & Sommer, Martin, 2008. "International evidence on sticky consumption growth," Working Paper Series 0886, European Central Bank.
- Christopher D. Carroll & Jiri Slacalek & Martin Sommer, 2008. "International Evidence on Sticky Consumption Growth," NBER Working Papers 13876, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carroll, Christopher D. & Slacalek, Jirka & Sommer, Martin, 2008. "International evidence on sticky consumption growth," CFS Working Paper Series 2008/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Lemmens, A. & Croux, C. & Dekimpe, M.G., 2007. "Consumer confidence in Europe: United in diversity," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-194296, Tilburg University.
- Malgarini, Marco & Margani, Patrizia, 2005.
"Psychology, consumer sentiment and household expenditures: a disaggregated analysis,"
42443, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marco Malgarini & Patrizia Margani, 2005. "Psychology, consumer sentiment and household expenditures: a disaggregated analysis," ISAE Working Papers 58, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Flora Fullone & Bianca Maria Martelli, 2008. "Re-thinking the ISAE Consumer Survey Processing Procedure," ISAE Working Papers 92, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Claro, Danny P & Júnior, José L. R. & Laban Neto, Sílvio A. & Lucci, Cíntia R. & Bolzani, Luciana C. & Carvalho, Marina D. de, 2009. "Índice de Confiança do Empresário de Pequenos e Médios Negócios no Brasil (IC-PMN): Metodologia e Resultados Preliminares," Insper Working Papers wpe_158, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.