Managing Online Auctions: Current Business and Research Issues
AbstractThe Internet's computational power and flexibility have made auctions a widespread and integral part of both consumer and business markets. Though online auctions are a multi-billion dollar annual activity, with a growing variety of sophisticated trading mechanisms, scientific research on them is at an early stage. This paper analyzes the current state of management science research on online auctions. It develops a broad research agenda for issues such as the behavior of online auction participants, the optimal design of online auctions, the integration of auctions into the ongoing operation of firms, and the use of the data generated by online auctions to inform future trading mechanisms. These research areas will draw from applied and theoretical work spanning management science, economics, and information systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 49 (2003)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Grebe, Tim & Ivanova-Stenzel, Radosveta & Kröger, Sabine, 2010.
"Buy-It-Now prices in eBay Auctions - The Field in the Lab,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
294, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Tim Grebe & Radosveta Ivanova-Stenzel & Sabine Kröger, 2009. "Buy-it-Now Prices in eBay Auctions-The Field in the Lab," Cahiers de recherche 0950, CIRPEE.
- Reynolds, Kristy E. & Gilkeson, James H. & Niedrich, Ronald W., 2009. "The influence of seller strategy on the winning price in online auctions: A moderated mediation model," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 22-30, January.
- Chin-Shien Lin & Shihyu Chou & Shih-Min Weng & Yu-Chen Hsieh, 2013. "A final price prediction model for english auctions: a neuro-fuzzy approach," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 599-613, February.
- Katehakis, Michael N. & Puranam, Kartikeya S., 2012. "On bidding for a fixed number of items in a sequence of auctions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(1), pages 76-84.
- Chen, Kong-Pin & Liu, Yu-Sheng & Yu, Ya-Ting, 2012. "The Seller's listing strategy in online auctions: evidence from eBay," MPRA Paper 38369, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Meents, S. & Verhagen, T. & Vlaar, P.W.L., 2011. "How sellers can stimulate purchasing in electronic marketplaces: Using information as a risk reduction signal," Serie Research Memoranda 0014, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Jiang, Zhong-Zhong & Fang, Shu-Cherng & Fan, Zhi-Ping & Wang, Dingwei, 2013. "Selecting optimal selling format of a product in B2C online auctions with boundedly rational customers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(1), pages 139-153.
- Dixit, Ashutosh & Whipple, Thomas W. & Zinkhan, George M. & Gailey, Edward, 2008. "A taxonomy of information technology-enhanced pricing strategies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 275-283, April.
- Radkevitch, U.L. & van Heck, H.W.G.M. & Koppius, O.R., 2008. "Choosing between Auctions and Negotiations in Online B2B Markets for IT Services: The Effect of Prior Relationships and Performance," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2008-004-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.