Modelos de alerta temprana para pronosticar crisis bancarias: desde la extracción de señales a las redes neuronales
AbstractThis paper reviews alternative methodologies and models to design systems to help in the early detection of banking distress (EWS). The pro-posed methodologies are aimed to the early identification of financial distress for countries without an important recent history of banking failure. This paper presents traditional models often used to predict currency crisis, and more advanced approaches, such as non linear neural networks models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines in its journal Revista de Analisis Economico.
Volume (Year): 20 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
- C45 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Neural Networks and Related Topics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guillermo Calvo & Frederic S. Mishkin, 2003.
"The Mirage of Exchange Rate Regimes for Emerging Market Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
9808, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Frederic S. Mishkin, 2003. "The Mirage of Exchange Rate Regimes for Emerging Market Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(4), pages 99-118, Fall.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999.
"The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems,"
14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999. "The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- De Bandt, Olivier & Hartmann, Philipp, 2000.
"Systemic risk: A survey,"
Working Paper Series
0035, European Central Bank.
- Hali J. Edison, 2000.
"Do indicators of financial crises work? an evaluation of an early warning system,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
675, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hali J. Edison, 2003. "Do indicators of financial crises work? An evaluation of an early warning system," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 11-53.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 1998. "The Determinants of Banking Crises in Developing and Developed Countries," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(1), pages 81-109, March.
- Church, Keith B. & Curram, Stephen P., 1996. "Forecasting consumers' expenditure: A comparison between econometric and neural network models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 255-267, June.
- Sudipto Bhattacharya & Manfred Plank & Josef Zechner & Gunter Strobl, 2000.
"Bank Capital Regulation With Random Audits,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp354, Financial Markets Group.
- Baker, Bruce D. & Richards, Craig E., 1999. "A comparison of conventional linear regression methods and neural networks for forecasting educational spending," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 405-415, October.
- Hutchison, Michael & McDill, Kathleen, 1999.
"Are All Banking Crises Alike? The Japanese Experience in International Comparison,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 155-180, September.
- Michael Hutchison & Kathleen McDill, 1999. "Are All Banking Crises Alike? The Japanese Experience in International Comparison," NBER Working Papers 7253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hutchison, M. & McDill, K., 1998. "Are All Banking Crises Alike? The Japanese Experience in International Comparison," Papers 99-02, Economisch Institut voor het Midden en Kleinbedrijf-.
- Michael Hutchison & Kathleen McDill, 1999. "Are all banking crises alike? The Japanese experience in international comparison," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 99-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Patrick Honohan, 1997. "Banking system failures in developing and transition countries: Diagnosis and predictions," BIS Working Papers 39, Bank for International Settlements.
- Demirguc, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2000. "Monitoring Banking Sector Fragility: A Multivariate Logit Approach," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 287-307, May.
- Julapa A. Jagtiani & James W. Kolari & Catharine M. Lemieux & G. Hwan Shin, 2000. "Predicting inadequate capitalization: early warning system for bank supervision," Emerging Issues, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Sep.
- Olmeda, Ignacio & Fernandez, Eugenio, 1997. "Hybrid Classifiers for Financial Multicriteria Decision Making: The Case of Bankruptcy Prediction," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 10(4), pages 317-35, November.
- Wu, Chunchi & Wang, Xu-Ming, 2000. " A Neural Network Approach for Analyzing Small Business Lending Decisions," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 259-76, November.
- Qi, Min, 1999. "Nonlinear Predictability of Stock Returns Using Financial and Economic Variables," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(4), pages 419-29, October.
- Enrica Detragiache & Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt, 1998.
"Financial Liberalization and Financial Fragility,"
IMF Working Papers
98/83, International Monetary Fund.
- Daniel C. Hardy & Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, 1999. "Determinants and Leading Indicators of Banking Crises: Further Evidence," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(3), pages 1.
- El Shazly, Mona R. & El Shazly, Hassan E., 1999. "Forecasting currency prices using a genetically evolved neural network architecture," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 67-82.
- Brenda GonzÃ¡lez-Hermosillo, 1996. "Banking Sector Fragility and Systemic Sources of Fragility," IMF Working Papers 96/12, International Monetary Fund.
- Tkacz, Greg & Hu, Sarah, 1999. "Forecasting GDP Growth Using Artificial Neural Networks," Working Papers 99-3, Bank of Canada.
- Catherine A. Pattillo & Andrew Berg & Gian-Maria Milesi-Ferretti & Eduardo Borensztein, 2000. "Anticipating Balance of Payments Crises," IMF Occasional Papers 186, International Monetary Fund.
- Chung-Ming Kuan, 2006. "Artificial Neural Networks," IEAS Working Paper : academic research 06-A010, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Marcelo Dabos & Walter Sosa Escudero, 2000. "Explaining and Predicting Bank Failure in Argentina Using Duration Models," Working Papers 26, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Apr 2000.
- Andrew Berg & Catherine Pattillo, 1999.
"Are Currency Crises Predictable? A Test,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(2), pages 1.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Rose, Andrew K, 1998.
"Staying Afloat When the Wind Shifts: External Factors and Emerging-Market Banking Crises,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1828, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barry Eichengreen & Andrew K. Rose, 1998. "Staying Afloat When the Wind Shifts: External Factors and Emerging-Market Banking Crises," NBER Working Papers 6370, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raimundo Soto, . "Nonlinearities in the Demand for money: A Neural Network Approach," ILADES-Georgetown University Working Papers inv107, Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines.
- Liliana Rojas-Suarez, 2001. "Rating Banks in Emerging Markets: What Credit Rating Agencies Should Learn from Financial Indicators," Working Paper Series WP01-6, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Nicholas Wilson & Kwee Chong & Michael Peel & A. N. Kolmogorov, 1995. "Neural Network Simulation and the Prediction of Corporate Outcomes: Some Empirical Findings," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(1), pages 31-50.
- Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers & Alfredo Mario Leone & Mahinder Singh Gill & Owen Evens, 2000. "Macroprudential Indicators of Financial System Soundness," IMF Occasional Papers 192, International Monetary Fund.
- Franses,Philip Hans & Dijk,Dick van, 2000.
"Non-Linear Time Series Models in Empirical Finance,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521779654, October.
- Franses,Philip Hans & Dijk,Dick van, 2000. "Non-Linear Time Series Models in Empirical Finance," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521770415, October.
- Lim, G C & McNelis, Paul D, 1998. "The Effect of the Nikkei and the S&P on the All-Ordinaries: A Comparison of Three Models," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(3), pages 217-28, July.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1998. "Currency and banking crises: the early warnings of distress," International Finance Discussion Papers 629, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcela Perticara).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.