Bank Capital Regulation with Random Audits
AbstractWe consider a model of optimal bank closure rules (cum capital replenishment by banks), with Poisson-distributed audits of the bank's asset value by the regulator, with the goal of eliminating (ameliorating) the incentives of levered bank shareholders/managers to take excessive risks in their choice of underlying assets. The roles of (tax or other) subsidies on deposit interest payments by the bank, and of the auditing frequency are examined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 2597.
Date of creation: Oct 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bhattacharya, Sudipto, 1982. " Aspects of Monetary and Banking Theory and Moral Hazard," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(2), pages 371-84, May.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Fries, Steven & Mella-Barral, Pierre & Perraudin, William, 1997.
"Optimal bank reorganization and the fair pricing of deposit guarantees,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 441-468, April.
- Fries,S. & Mella-Barral,P. & Perraudin,W.R.M., 1995. "Optimal Bank Reorganisation and the Fair Pricing of Deposit Garantees," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9417, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Merton, Robert C., 1977.
"On the cost of deposit insurance when there are surveillance costs,"
903-77., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1978. "On the Cost of Deposit Insurance When There Are Surveillance Costs," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 439-52, July.
- Bhattacharya Sudipto & Thakor Anjan V., 1993. "Contemporary Banking Theory," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 2-50, October.
- Fischer, Edwin O & Heinkel, Robert & Zechner, Josef, 1989. " Dynamic Capital Structure Choice: Theory and Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 19-40, March.
- Christian A. Johnson, 2005. "Modelos de alerta temprana para pronosticar crisis bancarias: desde la extracción de señales a las redes neuronales," Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review, Ilades-Georgetown University, Economics Department, vol. 20(1), pages 95-121, June.
- Delis, Manthos D & Staikouras, Panagiotis, 2009. "On-site audits, sanctions, and bank risk-taking: An empirical overture towards a novel regulatory and supervisory philosophy," MPRA Paper 16836, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nataliya Klimenko, 2013. "Tailoring Bank Capital Regulation for Tail Risk," AMSE Working Papers 1310, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised Feb 2013.
- Decamps, Jean-Paul & Rochet, Jean-Charles & Roger, Benoit, 2004.
"The three pillars of Basel II: optimizing the mix,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 132-155, April.
- Henri Pagès & João A. C. Santos, 2003.
"Optimal supervisory policies and depositor-preference laws,"
BIS Working Papers
131, Bank for International Settlements.
- Pagès, H. & Santos, J., 2002. "Optimal Supervisory Policies and Depositor-Preferences Laws," Working papers 91, Banque de France.
- Koziol, Christian & Lawrenz, Jochen, 2009. "What makes a bank risky? Insights from the optimal capital structure of banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 861-873, May.
- Mohamed Belhaj & Nataliya Klimenko, 2012.
"Optimal Preventive Bank Supervision: Combining Random Audits and Continuous Intervention,"
- Mohamed Belhaj & Nataliya Klimenko, 2012. "Optimal Preventive Bank Supervision Combining Random Audits and Continuous Intervention," AMSE Working Papers 1201, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Nataliya Klimenko, 2013. "Tailoring Bank Capital Regulation for Tail Risk," Working Papers halshs-00796490, HAL.
- Keppo, Jussi & Kofman, Leonard & Meng, Xu, 2010. "Unintended consequences of the market risk requirement in banking regulation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2192-2214, October.
- Jijun Niu, 2008. "Bank Competition, Risk, and Subordinated Debt," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 37-56, February.
- Peura, Samu & Jokivuolle, Esa, 2003. "Simulation-based stress testing of banks’ regulatory capital adequacy," Research Discussion Papers 4/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Abel Elizalde, 2007. "From Basel I To Basel Ii: An Analysis Of The Three Pillars," Working Papers wp2007_0704, CEMFI.
- Jean-Charles Rochet, 2004. "Rebalancing the three pillars of Basel II," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Sep, pages 7-21.
- Hankir, Yassin & Rauch, Christian & Umber, Marc P., 2011. "Bank M&A: A market power story?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 2341-2354, September.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Villeneuve, Stéphane, 2011. "Liquidity management and corporate demand for hedging and insurance," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 303-323, July.
- Episcopos, Athanasios, 2008. "Bank capital regulation in a barrier option framework," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1677-1686, August.
- Samu Peura & Esa Jokivuolle, 2004. "Simulation-based stress testing of banks’ regulatory capital adequacy," Finance 0405003, EconWPA.
- Xavier Freixas & Bruno Maria Parigi, 2007. "Banking Regulation and Prompt Corrective Action," CESifo Working Paper Series 2136, CESifo Group Munich.
- Koziol, Christian & Lawrenz, Jochen, 2012. "Contingent convertibles. Solving or seeding the next banking crisis?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 90-104.
- E. Agliardi, 2007. "Bank Closure Policies and Capital Requirements: a Note," Working Papers 603, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Iulia Iuga, 2011. "Comparative Study On The Evolution Of Loans Anddeposits Between The Romanian Bank For Development (Brd) - Groupe Societe Generale And The Romanian Banking System," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 2(13), pages 27.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.