Nonparametric Instrumental Variable Estimation in Practice
In this paper we examine the nite sample performance of two estimators one developed by Blundell, Chen, and Kristensen (2007) (BCK) and the other by Gagliardini and Scaillet (2007) (TIR). This paper focuses on the generalization and expansion of these estimators to a full nonparametric speci cation with multiple regressors. In relation to the classic weak instruments literature, we provide intuition on the examination of instruments relevance when the structural function is assumed to be unknown. Simulations indicate that both estimators perform quite well in higher dimensions. This research also provides insights on the performance of bootstrapped con dence intervals for both estimators. We document that the BCK estimator's coverage probabilities are near their nominal levels even in small samples as long as the sieve order of expansion is restricted. The coverage probability for the TIR estimator's bootstrapped con dence intervals are near their nominal levels even when the order of sieve approximation is large. These results suggest that in small samples the TIR estimator has a much smaller bias then the BCK estimator but its variance is much larger. We provide two empirical examples. One is the classic wage returns to education example and the other looks at the relationship of corruption and GDP to economic growth. Results here suggests that the impact of corruption on growth depends nonlinearly on a countries level of development.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1376 Storrs Road, U-21, Storrs, Connecticut 06269-4021|
Web page: http://www.zwickcenter.uconn.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gagliardini, Patrick & Scaillet, Olivier, 2012. "Tikhonov regularization for nonparametric instrumental variable estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 61-75.
- Steven T. Berry & Philip A. Haile, 2014.
"Identification in Differentiated Products Markets Using Market Level Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 82, pages 1749-1797, 09.
- Steven T. Berry & Philip A. Haile, 2010. "Identification in Differentiated Products Markets Using Market Level Data," NBER Working Papers 15641, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven T. Berry & Philip Haile, 2010. "Identification in Differentiated Products Markets Using Market Level Data," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1744R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised May 2012.
- Steven T. Berry & Philip Haile, 2010. "Identification in Differentiated Products Markets Using Market Level Data," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1744, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Mar 2010.
- S. Darolles & Y. Fan & J. P. Florens & E. Renault, 2011. "Nonparametric Instrumental Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 79(5), pages 1541-1565, 09.
- Serge Darolles & Jean-Pierre Florens & Eric Renault, 2000. "Nonparametric Instrumental Regression," Working Papers 2000-17, Center for Research in Economics and Statistics.
- Darolles, Serge & Fan, Yanqin & Florens, Jean-Pierre & Renault, Eric, 2003. "Non Parametric Instrumental Regression," IDEI Working Papers 228, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2010.
- DAROLLES, Serge & FLORENS, Jean-Pierre & RENAULT, Éric, 2002. "Nonparametric Instrumental Regression," Cahiers de recherche 2002-05, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Serge Darolles & Jean-Pierre Florens & Yanqin Fan & Eric Renault, 2011. "Nonparametric Instrumental Regression," Post-Print halshs-00677716, HAL.
- Patrick Gagliardini & Olivier Scaillet, 2007. "A Specification Test For Nonparametric Instrumental Variable Regression," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 9602, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-890, July.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hoderlein, Stefan & Holzmann, Hajo, 2011. "Demand Analysis As An Ill-Posed Inverse Problem With Semiparametric Specification," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(03), pages 609-638, June.
- Stefan Hoderlein & Hajo Holzmann, 2008. "Demand Analysis as an Ill-Posed Inverse Problem with Semiparametric Specification," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 752, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Philip Shaw & Marina‐Selini Katsaiti & Marius Jurgilas, 2011. "Corruption And Growth Under Weak Identification," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 49(1), pages 264-275, 01.
- Philip Shaw & Marina-Selini Katsaiti & Marius Jurgilas, 2006. "Corruption and Growth Under Weak Identification," Working papers 2006-17, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics, revised Mar 2007.
- Whitney K. Newey & James L. Powell, 2003. "Instrumental Variable Estimation of Nonparametric Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1565-1578, 09.
- Paolo Mauro, 1995. "Corruption and Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(3), pages 681-712.
- Severini, Thomas A. & Tripathi, Gautam, 2006. "Some Identification Issues In Nonparametric Linear Models With Endogenous Regressors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 258-278, April.
- Thomas A. Severini & Gautam Tripathi, 2005. "Some Identification Issues in Nonparametric Linear Models with Endogenous Regressors," Working papers 2005-12, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zwi:fpcrep:111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.