Em-powering economics: Some thoughts on policy and financial markets
This paper addresses the discussion between economic power and the power of politics with particular focus on financial markets. After general reflections about the economic basis of power, the paper discusses in a general equilibrium framework how financial innovations can lead to risk creation and an inflation of financial products. This creates a fundamental disorder in the financial system which from an aggregate point of view can be described in a standard portfolio framework, in which higher rates of return go hand in hand with higher private risks but also with increasing externalized (social) risk and insurance illusion. Rate of return regulation is proposed as an appropriate regulatory measure. Alternatively the deficiency could be cured by admission regulations for financial products which put the burden of proof for no external (systemic) damages of a financial instrument to the issuer.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rämistrasse 71, CH-8006 Zürich|
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Binswanger, Johannes, 2007. "Risk management of pensions from the perspective of loss aversion," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3-4), pages 641-667, April.
- Josef Falkinger, 2008. "Limited Attention as a Scarce Resource in Information-Rich Economies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(532), pages 1596-1620, October.
- Falkinger, Josef, 2007.
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 266-294, March.
- Kurt Rothschild & John King, 2009. "A Conversation with Kurt Rothschild," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 145-155.
- Franck Egon, 2011. "Ist es an der Zeit, die Aktionärsrechte zu stärken?," Working Papers 0156, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- James Crotty & Gerald Epstein, 2009. "Avoiding Another Meltdown," Challenge, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 52(1), pages 5-26, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zur:econwp:093. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.