Cointegrated VARMA models and forecasting US interest rates
We bring together some recent advances in the literature on vector autoregressive moving-average models creating a relatively simple specification and estimation strategy for the cointegrated case. We show that in the cointegrated case with fixed initial values there exists a so-called final moving representation which is usually simpler but not as parsimonious than the usual Echelon form. Furthermore, we proof that our specification strategy is consistent also in the case of cointegrated series. In order to show the potential usefulness of the method, we apply it to US interest rates and find that it generates forecasts superior to methods which do not allow for moving-average terms.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schönberggasse 1, CH-8001 Zürich|
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poskitt, D. S., 2003. "On the specification of cointegrated autoregressive moving-average forecasting systems," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 503-519.
- Christian Kascha & Karel Mertens, 2008.
"Business cycle analysis and VARMA models,"
2008/05, Norges Bank.
- Campbell, John & Shiller, Robert, 1987.
"Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models,"
3122490, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1986. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 785, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- John Y. Campbell & Robert J. Shiller, 1986. "Cointegration and Tests of Present Value Models," NBER Working Papers 1885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George Athanasopoulos & Farshid Vahid, 2006.
"VARMA versus VAR for Macroeconomic Forecasting,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
4/06, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Shea, Gary S, 1992. "Benchmarking the Expectations Hypothesis of the Interest-Rate Term Structure: An Analysis of Cointegration Vectors," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 347-366, July.
- Poskitt, D.S., 2006. "On The Identification And Estimation Of Nonstationary And Cointegrated Armax Systems," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(06), pages 1138-1175, December.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Claessen, Holger, 1997. "Analysis of cointegrated VARMA processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 223-239, October.
- Alain Monfort & Fulvio Pegoraro, 2007. "Switching VARMA Term Structure Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 5(1), pages 105-153.
- Bauer, Dietmar & Wagner, Martin, 2005.
"Autoregressive Approximations of Multiple Frequency I(1) Processes,"
174, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Dietmar Bauer & Martin Wagner, 2005. "Autoregressive Approximations of Multiple Frequency I(1) Processes," Economics Working Papers ECO2005/09, European University Institute.
- Michiel de Pooter & Francesco Ravazzolo & Dick van Dijk, 2010.
"Term structure forecasting using macro factors and forecast combination,"
2010/01, Norges Bank.
- Michiel De Pooter & Francesco Ravazzolo & Dick Van Dijk, 2010. "Term structure forecasting using macro factors and forecast combination," International Finance Discussion Papers 993, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- D.S. Poskitt, 2009. "Vector Autoregresive Moving Average Identification for Macroeconomic Modeling: Algorithms and Theory," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 12/09, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Carstensen, Kai, 2003.
"Nonstationary term premia and cointegration of the term structure,"
Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 409-413, September.
- Carstensen, Kai, 2003. "Nonstationary term premia and cointegration of the term structure," Munich Reprints in Economics 19944, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hall, Anthony D & Anderson, Heather M & Granger, Clive W J, 1992. "A Cointegration Analysis of Treasury Bill Yields," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(1), pages 116-126, February.
- D. Poskitt & H. Lütkepohl, 1995. "Consistent Specification of Cointegrated Autoregressive Moving-Average Systems," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1995,54, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
- Bent Nielsen, 2001. "Order determination in general vector autoregressions," Economics Papers 2001-W10, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Engsted, Tom & Tanggaard, Carsten, 1994. "Cointegration and the US term structure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 167-181, January.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Rahbek, Anders & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2010.
"Cointegration Rank Testing Under Conditional Heteroskedasticity,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(06), pages 1719-1760, December.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Anders Rahbek & A.M.Robert Taylor, 2009. "Co-integration Rank Testing under Conditional Heteroskedasticity," CREATES Research Papers 2009-22, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut, 1984. "Linear transformations of vector ARMA processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 283-293, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zur:econwp:033. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.