VARMA versus VAR for Macroeconomic Forecasting
In this paper, we argue that there is no compelling reason for restricting the class of multivariate models considered for macroeconomic forecasting to VARs given the recent advances in VARMA modelling methodology and improvements in computing power. To support this claim, we use real macroeconomic data and show that VARMA models forecast macroeconomic variables more accurately than VAR models.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/pubs/wpapers/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D.S. Poskitt, .
"Specification of echelon form VARMA models,"
Statistic und Oekonometrie
9305, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
- Makridakis, Spyros & Hibon, Michele, 2000. "The M3-Competition: results, conclusions and implications," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 451-476.
- Clements, M.P. & Hendry, D., 1992. "On the Limitations of Comparing Mean Square Forecast Errors," Economics Series Working Papers 99138, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- George Athanasopoulos & Farshid Vahid, 2008.
"A complete VARMA modelling methodology based on scalar components,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(3), pages 533-554, 05.
- George Athanasopoulos & Farshid Vahid, 2006. "A Complete VARMA Modelling Methodology Based on Scalar Components," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 2/06, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msh:ebswps:2006-4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Grose)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.