Firm formation in high-tech industries: empirical results for Germany
During the last years more and more discussions came up about the contribution of technology-oriented and technology-intensive industries for the economic development and employment. The estimates of the determinants of the regional number of firm formations point out differences between the regions due to different categories: the attractiveness of the county (e.g. infrastructure), the regional endowment with human capital indicated by the location of R&D facilities comprising universities, technical colleges, non-universitary institutes, private R&D, and the regional industry and employment structure. One very surprising finding is that there is no impact of the R&D activities in private firms on the regional number of firm formations in technology intensive industries. However, positive significant effects can be found concerning the regional endowment with e.g. universities depending on the field of specialisation.
|Date of creation:||1996|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gourieroux Christian & Monfort Alain & Trognon A, 1982.
"Pseudo maximum lilelihood methods : applications to poisson models,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Trognon, Alain, 1984. "Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Methods: Applications to Poisson Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 701-720, May.
- Harhoff, Dietmar, 1995.
"Firm formation and regional spillovers: evidence from Germany,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
95-11, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Dietmar Harhoff, 1999. "Firm Formation And Regional Spillovers - Evidence From Germany," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(1-2), pages 27-55.
- Evans, David S & Jovanovic, Boyan, 1989. "An Estimated Model of Entrepreneurial Choice under Liquidity Constraints," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(4), pages 808-827, August.
- Fritsch, M., 1993.
"Determinants of New Firm Formation in West Germany Regions 1986-1989: An Empirical Analysis,"
93-3, Bergakademie Freiberg Technical University - Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Fritsch, Michael, 1993. "Determinants of New Firm Formation in West Germany Regions 1986-1989: An Empirical Analysis," Freiberg Working Papers 1993,03, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Timothy Bates, 1985. "Entrepreneur Human Capital Endowments and Minority Business Viability," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 20(4), pages 540-554.
- Licht, Georg & Steiner, Viktor, 1993. "Assimilation, labour market experience, and earnings profiles of temporary and permanent immigrant workers in germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 93-06, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- David Blanchflower & B Meyer, 1991.
"A Longitudinal Analysis of Young Entrepreneurs in Australia and the United States,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0055, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- David G. Blanchflower & Bruce D. Meyer, 1991. "A Longitudinal Analysis of Young Entrepreneurs in Australia and the United States," NBER Working Papers 3746, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nerlinger, Eric A. & Berger, Georg, 1995. "Technologieorientierte Industrien und Unternehmen: Alternative Definitionen," ZEW Discussion Papers 95-20, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:9607. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.