International Capital Mobility and Current Account Targeting in Central and Eastern European Countries
The paper examines the degree of financial integration in five central and eastern European economies on the basis of saving-investment correlations. A comparison with eleven member states of the European monetary union shows that the countries under review have already reached a higher degree of integration in quantitative terms. Since this approach is sensitive to current account targeting policies, the paper uses econometric techniques to control for these kinds of policies revealing that the central and eastern European countries that suffered from current account crises in the past used policies to balance the current account.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Coakley, Jerry & Kulasi, Farida & Smith, Ron, 1996. "Current Account Solvency and the Feldstein-Horioka Puzzle," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(436), pages 620-27, May.
- Murphy, Robert G., 1984. "Capital mobility and the relationship between saving and investment rates in OECD countries," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 327-342, December.
- Claudia M. Buch, 1999.
"Capital Mobility and EU Enlargement,"
Kiel Working Papers
908, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Claudia Buch, 1999. "Capital mobility and EU enlargement," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 135(4), pages 629-656, December.
- repec:fth:harver:1463 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sinn, Stefan, 1992. "Saving-Investment Correlations and Capital Mobility: On the Evidence from Annual Data," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(414), pages 1162-70, September.
- Martin Feldstein & Charles Horioka, 1979.
"Domestic Savings and International Capital Flows,"
NBER Working Papers
0310, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Herrmann, Sabine & Jochem, Axel, 2003. "The international integration of foreign exchange markets in the central and east European accession countries: speculative efficiency, transaction costs and exchange rate premiums," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2003,08, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1980. "Vignettes on the World Capital Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 331-37, May.
- Jochem, Axel & Herrmann, Sabine, 2003. "The international integration of money markets in the central and east European accession countries: deviations from covered interest parity, capital controls and inefficiencies in the financial secto," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2003,07, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Buch, Claudia M., 1999. "Capital Mobility and EU Enlargement," Kiel Working Papers 908, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:4277. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.