The metal resources (METRO) model: A dynamic partial equilibrium model for metal markets applied to rare earth elements
This paper presents the METal ResOurces (METRO) model, a partial equilibrium model tailored for metal markets. It allows for a disaggregated representation of the mining sector and endogenous investment in extractive capacities. It can be calibrated to a large number of metal markets. Rare Earth Elements are the first group of metals for which the model is implemented. A new dataset on Rare Earth mines is compiled to calibrate it. First results on key developments of Rare Earth markets are presented. Extensive sensitivity analyses indicate their robustness.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno Lanz & Thomas F. Rutherford & John E. Tilton, 2011.
"Subglobal Climate Agreements and Energy-Intensive Activities: Is there a Carbon Haven for Copper?,"
1103, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Bruno Lanz & Thomas F. Rutherford & John E. Tilton, 2013. "Subglobal Climate Agreements and Energy-intensive Activities: An Evaluation of Carbon Leakage in the Copper Industry," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(3), pages 254-279, 03.
- Bruno Lanz & Thomas F. Rutherford & John E. Tilton, 2013. "Subglobal climate agreements and energy-intensive activities: An evaluation of carbon leakage in the copper industry," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 13/174, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Hartwick, John M. & Kemp, Murray C. & Van Long, Ngo, 1986.
"Set-up costs and theory of exhaustible resources,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 212-224, September.
- Claudio Agostini, 2006. "Estimating Market Power in the US Copper Industry," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 28(1), pages 17-39, 02.
- Gielen, Dolf & Moriguchi, Yuichi, 2002. "CO2 in the iron and steel industry: an analysis of Japanese emission reduction potentials," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 849-863, August.
- Franklin M. Fisher & Paul H. Cootner & Martin N. Baily, 1972. "An Econometric Model of the World Copper Industry," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 3(2), pages 568-609, Autumn.
- Fisher, L. A. & Owen, A. D., 1981. "An economic model of the US aluminium market," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 150-160, September.
- Aydin, Hamit & Tilton, John E., 2000. "Mineral endowment, labor productivity, and comparative advantage in mining," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 281-293, October.
- D. Demailly & Philippe Quirion, 2008.
"European Emission Trading Scheme and competitiveness: A case study on the iron and steel industry,"
- Demailly, Damien & Quirion, Philippe, 2008. "European Emission Trading Scheme and competitiveness: A case study on the iron and steel industry," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 2009-2027, July.
- Adelman, M A, 1990. "Mineral Depletion, with Special Reference to Petroleum," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(1), pages 1-10, February.
- Winters, L. Alan, 1995. "Liberalizing European steel trade," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 611-621, April.
- Wübbeke, Jost, 2013. "Rare earth elements in China: Policies and narratives of reinventing an industry," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 384-394.
- Holland, Stephen P., 2003. "Set-up costs and the existence of competitive equilibrium when extraction capacity is limited," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 539-556, November.
- Robert Cairns, 2001. "Capacity Choice and the Theory of the Mine," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 18(1), pages 129-148, January.
- Gupta, Satyadev, 1982. "An Econometric Analysis of the World Zinc Market," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 7(3-4), pages 213-37.
- Jane Korinek & Jeonghoi Kim, 2010. "Export Restrictions on Strategic Raw Materials and Their Impact on Trade," OECD Trade Policy Papers 95, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:13112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.