Capacity Choice and the Theory of the Mine
When extraction from mineral deposits is constrained byfixed capacity, an r-per-cent rule holds. This deposit-specific rule,however, is ``more partial'' than Hotelling's rule in that it is followed byprice takers and does not require price to adjust to produce equilibrium. Toobtain the resource rent to which the rule applies, the shadow value ofcapacity must be subtracted from the usual net price, i.e., price lessshort-run marginal cost. But the shadow value of capacity cannot becalculated from common depreciation formulas; an alternative method ofcalculating the shadow values is derived. The shadow value of reserves maybe increasing in the level of initial reserves. If there are increasingreturns to installing capacity, the value of the resource is not equal tothe discounted resource rent. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2001
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 18 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Postal:c/o EAERE Secretariat - Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei - Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore 8, I-30124 Venice, Italy
Web page: http://www.eaere.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/environmental/journal/10640/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ciarns, Robert D & Lasserre, Pierre, 1986.
" Sectoral Supply of Minerals of Varying Quality,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(4), pages 605-626.
- Cairns, R. & Lasserre, P., 1985. "Sectoral Supply of Minerals of Varying Quality," Cahiers de recherche 8534, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Cairns, Robert D., 1998. "Sufficient conditions for a class of investment problems," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 55-69, September.
- Solow, Robert M, 1974. "The Economics of Resources or the Resources of Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(2), pages 1-14, May.
- Pierre Lasserre, 1985. "Capacity Choice by Mines," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 831-842, November.
- Lasserre, P., 1985. "Capacity Choice by Mines," Cahiers de recherche 8501, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Davis, Graham A. & Moore, David J., 1998. "Valuing mineral reserves when capacity constrains production," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 121-125, July.
- Cairns, Robert D, 2000. "Accounting for Resource Depletion: A Microeconomic Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(1), pages 21-31, March.
- Lewis Cecil Gray, 1914. "Rent under the Assumption of Exhaustibility," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(3), pages 466-489.
- Miller, Merton H & Upton, Charles W, 1985. "A Test of the Hotelling Valuation Principle," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Lasserre, P., 1982. "Exhaustible-Resource Extraction with Capital," Cahiers de recherche 8208, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Graham A. Davis, 1996. "Option Premiums in Mineral Asset Pricing: Are They Important?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 72(2), pages 167-186.
- Denise Young, 1992. "Cost Specification and Firm Behaviour in a Hotelling Model of Resource Extraction," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(1), pages 41-59, February.
- Hartwick, John M. & Kemp, Murray C. & Van Long, Ngo, 1986. "Set-up costs and theory of exhaustible resources," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 212-224, September.
- John Hartwick & Murray Kemp & Ngo van Long, 1980. "Set-up Costs and Theory of Exhaustible Resources," Working Papers 412, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Harry F. Campbell, 1980. "The Effect of Capital Intensity on the Optimal Rate of Extraction of a Mineral Deposit," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 13(2), pages 349-356, May.
- Farrow, Scott, 1985. "Testing the Efficiency of Extraction from a Stock Resource," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 452-487, June.
- Robert D. Cairns & Graham A. Davis, 1998. "On Using Current Information To Value Hard-Rock Mineral Properties," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 658-663, November.
- Cairns, Robert D. & Van Quyen, Nguyen, 1998. "Optimal Exploration for and Exploitation of Heterogeneous Mineral Deposits," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 164-189, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)