Skill needs and continuing vocational training in Sweden
The main purpose of this paper is to explore whether and how the amount of firmsponsored Continuing Vocational Training (CVT) provided in Sweden from 1999 onwards was influenced by institutional conditions. The Swedish labour market is characterised by a relatively large amount of publicly subsidised CVT. How this affects the incidence of firm-sponsored CVT ultimately depends on whether publicly financed training is a substitute for, a complement to or is independent from company training. Recent Swedish research and descriptive data suggest that elements of all three cases exist. If the two were complements, the phenomenon of underinvestment in CVT which is frequently considered to exist would be attenuated by the provision of publicly financed CVT. Support for this view hinges on the notion that public CVT evens out human capital accumulation within the labour force, that this in turn contributes to a compressed wage structure and that compressed wages have a positive influence on the provision of firm-sponsored CVT.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 0
Fax: ++49 - 30 - 25491 - 684
Web page: http://www.wzb.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric, 2000. "Returns to firm-provided training: evidence from French worker-firm matched data1," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Bassanini, Andrea & Brunello, Giorgio, 2003. "Is Training More Frequent When Wage Compression is Higher? Evidence from the European Community Household Panel," IZA Discussion Papers 839, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stenberg, Anders, 2005.
"Comprehensive Education or Vocational Training for the Unemployed?,"
Umeå Economic Studies
663, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Anders Stenberg, 2007. "Comprehensive education or vocational training for the unemployed?," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(1), pages 42 - 61, May.
- Filipe Almeida-Santos & Karen Mumford, .
"Employee Training and Wage Compression in Britain,"
04/11, Department of Economics, University of York.
- repec:iza:izadps:dp is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:eme:rlepps:v:18:y:1999:i:1999:p:303-330 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:wzblpe:spi2006109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.