An exact algorithm for weighted-mean trimmed regions in any dimension
Trimmed regions are a powerful tool of multivariate data analysis. They describe a probability distribution in Euclidean d-space regarding location, dispersion, and shape, and they order multivariate data with respect to their centrality. Dyckerhoff and Mosler (201x) have introduced the class of weighted-mean trimmed regions, which possess attractive properties regarding continuity, subadditivity, and monotonicity. We present an exact algorithm to compute the weighted-mean trimmed regions of a given data cloud in arbitrary dimension d. These trimmed regions are convex polytopes in Rd. To calculate them, the algorithm builds on methods from computational geometry. A characterization of a region's facets is used, and information about the adjacency of the facets is extracted from the data. A key problem consists in ordering the facets. It is solved by the introduction of a tree-based order. The algorithm has been programmed in C++ and is available as an R package.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 0221 / 470 5607|
Phone: 0221 / 470 5607
Fax: 0221 / 470 5179
Web page: http://www.wisostat.uni-koeln.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marc Hallin & Davy Paindaveine & Miroslav Siman, 2008.
"Multivariate quantiles and multiple-output regression quantiles: from L1 optimization to halfspace depth,"
Working Papers ECARES
2008_042, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marc Hallin & Davy Paindaveine & Miroslav Šiman, 2010. "Multivariate quantiles and multiple-output regression quantiles: From L1 optimization to halfspace depth," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/127979, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- K. Mosler, 2003. "Central regions and dependency," Econometrics 0309004, EconWPA.
- Mosler, Karl & Lange, Tatjana & Bazovkin, Pavel, 2009. "Computing zonoid trimmed regions of dimension d>2," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 2500-2510, May.
- Dyckerhoff, Rainer & Mosler, Karl, 2011. "Weighted-mean trimming of multivariate data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(3), pages 405-421, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ucdpse:610. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.