Multivariate quantiles and multiple-output regression quantiles: from L1 optimization to halfspace depth
A new multivariate concept of quantile, based on a directional version of Koenker and Bassett’s traditional regression quantiles, is introduced for multivariate location and multiple-output regression problems. In their empirical version, those quantiles can be computed efficiently via linear programming techniques. Consistency, Bahadur representation and asymptotic normality results are established. Most importantly, the contours generated by those quantiles are shown to coincide with the classical halfspace depth contours associated with the name of Tukey. This relation does not only allow for efficient depth contour computations by means of parametric linear programming, but also for transferring from the quantile to the depth universe such asymptotic results as Bahadur representations. Finally, linear programming duality opens the way to promising developments in depth-related multivariate rank-based inference.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by: ECARES|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. F.D., Roosevelt, 39, 1050 Bruxelles|
Phone: (32 2) 650 30 75
Fax: (32 2) 650 44 75
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cascos, Ignacio & López-Díaz, Miguel, 2005. "Integral trimmed regions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 404-424, October.
- Gilbert W. Bassett, 2004.
"Pessimistic Portfolio Allocation and Choquet Expected Utility,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(4), pages 477-492.
- Gilbert W. Bassett Jr & Roger Koenker & Gregory Kordas, 2004. "Pessimistic portfolio allocation and Choquet expected utility," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Abdous, B. & Theodorescu, R., 1992. "Note on the spatial quantile of a random vector," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 333-336, March.
- Wei, Ying, 2008. "An Approach to Multivariate Covariate-Dependent Quantile Contours With Application to Bivariate Conditional Growth Charts," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 397-409, March.
- Robert Serfling, 2002. "Quantile functions for multivariate analysis: approaches and applications," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 56(2), pages 214-232.
- Willa W. Chen & Rohit S. Deo, 2004. "Power transformations to induce normality and their applications," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(1), pages 117-130.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eca:wpaper:2008_042. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.