Design-based estimation for geometric quantiles with application to outlier detection
Geometric quantiles are investigated using data collected from a complex survey. Geometric quantiles are an extension of univariate quantiles in a multivariate set-up that uses the geometry of multivariate data clouds. A very important application of geometric quantiles is the detection of outliers in multivariate data by means of quantile contours. A design-based estimator of geometric quantiles is constructed and used to compute quantile contours in order to detect outliers in both multivariate data and survey sampling set-ups. An algorithm for computing geometric quantile estimates is also developed. Under broad assumptions, the asymptotic variance of the quantile estimator is derived and a consistent variance estimator is proposed. Theoretical results are illustrated with simulated and real data.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Biman Chakraborty, 2001. "On Affine Equivariant Multivariate Quantiles," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 53(2), pages 380-403, June.
- Unnikrishnan, N.K., 2010. "Bayesian analysis for outliers in survey sampling," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 1962-1974, August.
- Anthony Y. C. Kuk & A. H. Welsh, 2001. "Robust estimation for finite populations based on a working model," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(2), pages 277-292.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Robert Serfling, 2002. "Quantile functions for multivariate analysis: approaches and applications," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 56(2), pages 214-232.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:54:y:2010:i:10:p:2214-2229. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.