Quantiles for finite and infinite dimensional data
A new projection-based definition of quantiles in a multivariate setting is proposed. This approach extends in a natural way to infinite-dimensional Hilbert spaces. The directional quantiles we define are shown to satisfy desirable properties of equivariance and, from an interpretation point of view, the resulting quantile contours provide valuable information when plotting them. Sample quantiles estimating the corresponding population quantiles are defined and consistency results are obtained. The new concept of principal quantile directions, closely related in some situations to principal component analysis, is found specially attractive for reducing the dimensionality and visualizing important features of functional data. Asymptotic properties of the empirical version of principal quantile directions are also obtained. Based on these ideas, a simple definition of robust principal components for finite and infinite-dimensional spaces is also proposed. The presented methodology is illustrated with examples throughout the paper.
Volume (Year): 108 (2012)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- N. Locantore & J. Marron & D. Simpson & N. Tripoli & J. Zhang & K. Cohen & Graciela Boente & Ricardo Fraiman & Babette Brumback & Christophe Croux & Jianqing Fan & Alois Kneip & John Marden & Daniel P, 1999. "Robust principal component analysis for functional data," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 8(1), pages 1-73, June.
- Boente, Graciela & Fraiman, Ricardo, 2000. "Kernel-based functional principal components," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 335-345, July.
- LÃ³pez-Pintado, Sara & Romo, Juan, 2009. "On the Concept of Depth for Functional Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(486), pages 718-734.
- Manuel Febrero & Pedro Galeano & Wenceslao González-Manteiga, 2007. "A functional analysis of NOx levels: location and scale estimation and outlier detection," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 411-427, September.
- Cuevas, Antonio & Fraiman, Ricardo, 2009. "On depth measures and dual statistics. A methodology for dealing with general data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(4), pages 753-766, April.
- Li, Baibing & Martin, Elaine B. & Morris, A. Julian, 2002. "On principal component analysis in L1," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 471-474, September.
- Peter Hall & Mohammad Hosseini-Nasab, 2006. "On properties of functional principal components analysis," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 68(1), pages 109-126.
- Marc Hallin & Davy Paindaveine & Miroslav Siman, 2008.
"Multivariate quantiles and multiple-output regression quantiles: from L1 optimization to halfspace depth,"
Working Papers ECARES
2008_042, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marc Hallin & Davy Paindaveine & Miroslav Šiman, 2010. "Multivariate quantiles and multiple-output regression quantiles: From L1 optimization to halfspace depth," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/127979, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Lopez-Pintado, Sara & Romo, Juan, 2007. "Depth-based inference for functional data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 4957-4968, June.
- Hyndman, Rob J. & Shahid Ullah, Md., 2007. "Robust forecasting of mortality and fertility rates: A functional data approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 4942-4956, June.
- Rob J. Hyndman & Md. Shahid Ullah, 2005. "Robust forecasting of mortality and fertility rates: a functional data approach," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 2/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Antonio Cuevas & Manuel Febrero & Ricardo Fraiman, 2007. "Robust estimation and classification for functional data via projection-based depth notions," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 481-496, September.
- Robert Serfling, 2002. "Quantile functions for multivariate analysis: approaches and applications," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 56(2), pages 214-232.
- Boente, Graciela, 1987. "Asymptotic theory for robust principal components," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 67-78, February.
- Ricardo Fraiman & Graciela Muniz, 2001. "Trimmed means for functional data," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 10(2), pages 419-440, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:108:y:2012:i:c:p:1-14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.