Rainbow plots, Bagplots and Boxplots for Functional Data
We propose new tools for visualizing large numbers of functional data in the form of smooth curves or surfaces. The proposed tools include functional versions of the bagplot and boxplot, and make use of the first two robust principal component scores, Tukey's data depth and highest density regions. By-products of our graphical displays are outlier detection methods for functional data. We compare these new outlier detection methods with exiting methods for detecting outliers in functional data and show that our methods are better able to identify the outliers.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/depts/ebs/pubs/wpapers/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Becker, Claudia & Gather, Ursula, 2001. "The largest nonidentifiable outlier: a comparison of multivariate simultaneous outlier identification rules," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 119-127, March.
- Hyde, Valerie & Jank, Wolfgang & Shmueli, Galit, 2006. "Investigating Concurrency in Online Auctions Through Visualization," The American Statistician, American Statistical Association, vol. 60, pages 241-250, August.
- Filzmoser, Peter & Maronna, Ricardo & Werner, Mark, 2008. "Outlier identification in high dimensions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 1694-1711, January.
- Rob J. Hyndman & Md. Shahid Ullah, 2005.
"Robust forecasting of mortality and fertility rates: a functional data approach,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
2/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Hyndman, Rob J. & Shahid Ullah, Md., 2007. "Robust forecasting of mortality and fertility rates: A functional data approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 4942-4956, June.
- Reiss, Philip T. & Ogden, R. Todd, 2007. "Functional Principal Component Regression and Functional Partial Least Squares," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 102, pages 984-996, September.
- Sara Lopez-Pintado & Juan Romo, 2006. "On The Concept Of Depth For Functional Data," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws063012, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Tarn Duong & Martin L. Hazelton, 2005. "Cross-validation Bandwidth Matrices for Multivariate Kernel Density Estimation," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 32(3), pages 485-506.
- V. Kargin & Alexei Onatski, 2004.
"Curve Forecasting by Functional Autoregression,"
0405-18, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Ramsay, James O. & Ramsey, James B., 2002. "Functional data analysis of the dynamics of the monthly index of nondurable goods production," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1-2), pages 327-344, March.
- Struyf, Anja & Rousseeuw, Peter J., 2000. "High-dimensional computation of the deepest location," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 415-426, October.
- Croux, Christophe & Ruiz-Gazen, Anne, 2005. "High breakdown estimators for principal components: the projection-pursuit approach revisited," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 206-226, July.
- Manuel Febrero & Pedro Galeano & Wenceslao González-Manteiga, 2007. "A functional analysis of NOx levels: location and scale estimation and outlier detection," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 22(3), pages 411-427, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msh:ebswps:2008-9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simone Grose)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.