High breakdown estimators for principal components: the projection-pursuit approach revisited
Li and Chen (J. Amer. Statist. Assoc. 80 (1985) 759) proposed a method for principal components using projection-pursuit techniques. In classical principal components one searches for directions with maximal variance, and their approach consists of replacing this variance by a robust scale measure. Li and Chen showed that this estimator is consistent, qualitative robust and inherits the breakdown point of the robust scale estimator. We complete their study by deriving the influence function of the estimators for the eigenvectors, eigenvalues and the associated dispersion matrix. Corresponding Gaussian efficiencies are presented as well. Asymptotic normality of the estimators has been treated in a paper of Cui et al. (Biometrika 90 (2003) 953), complementing the results of this paper. Furthermore, a simple explicit version of the projection-pursuit based estimator is proposed and shown to be fast to compute, orthogonally equivariant, and having the maximal finite-sample breakdown point property. We will illustrate the method with a real data example.
Volume (Year): 95 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abul Naga, Ramses & Antille, Gerard, 1990. "Stability of robust and non-robust principal components analysis," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 169-174, October.
- N. Locantore & J. Marron & D. Simpson & N. Tripoli & J. Zhang & K. Cohen & Graciela Boente & Ricardo Fraiman & Babette Brumback & Christophe Croux & Jianqing Fan & Alois Kneip & John Marden & Daniel P, 1999. "Robust principal component analysis for functional data," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 8(1), pages 1-73, June.
- Li, Baibing & Martin, Elaine B. & Morris, A. Julian, 2002. "On principal component analysis in L1," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 471-474, September.
- Hengjian Cui, 2003. "Asymptotic distributions of principal components based on robust dispersions," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(4), pages 953-966, December.
- Croux, Christophe, 1994. "Efficient high-breakdown M-estimators of scale," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 371-379, April.
- Hossjer, O. & Croux, C. & Rousseeuw, P. J., 1994. "Asymptotics of Generalized S-Estimators," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 148-177, October.
- Graciela Boente, 2002. "Influence functions and outlier detection under the common principal components model: A robust approach," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(4), pages 861-875, December.