Multivariate quantiles and multiple-output regression quantiles: From L1 optimization to halfspace depth
A new multivariate concept of quantile, based on a directional version of Koenker and Bassett’s traditional regression quantiles, is introduced for multivariate location and multiple-output regression problems. In their empirical version, those quantiles can be computed efficiently via linear programming techniques. Consistency, Bahadur representation and asymptotic normality results are established. Most importantly, the contours generated by those quantiles are shown to coincide with the classical halfspace depth contours associated with the name of Tukey. This relation does not only allow for efficient depth contour computations by means of parametric linear programming, but also for transferring from the quantile to the depth universe such asymptotic results as Bahadur representations. Finally, linear programming duality opens the way to promising developments in depth-related multivariate rank-based inference.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in: Annals of statistics (2010) v.38 n° 2,p.635-669|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://difusion.ulb.ac.be
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wei, Ying, 2008. "An Approach to Multivariate Covariate-Dependent Quantile Contours With Application to Bivariate Conditional Growth Charts," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103, pages 397-409, March.
- Willa W. Chen & Rohit S. Deo, 2004. "Power transformations to induce normality and their applications," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 66(1), pages 117-130.
- Cascos, Ignacio & López-Díaz, Miguel, 2005. "Integral trimmed regions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 404-424, October.
- Robert Serfling, 2002. "Quantile functions for multivariate analysis: approaches and applications," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 56(2), pages 214-232.
- Gilbert W. Bassett Jr & Roger Koenker & Gregory Kordas, 2004.
"Pessimistic portfolio allocation and Choquet expected utility,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP09/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Gilbert W. Bassett, 2004. "Pessimistic Portfolio Allocation and Choquet Expected Utility," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(4), pages 477-492.
- Abdous, B. & Theodorescu, R., 1992. "Note on the spatial quantile of a random vector," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 333-336, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ulb:ulbeco:2013/127979. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.