Paradigmenwechsel der EU-Finanzpolitik? Der Stabilitätspakt auf dem Prüfstand
The Stability and Growth Pact (SGP) intends to increase fiscal prudence among the members of the European Monetary Union. This may be useful on grounds of political economy if national decision-making leads to inefficiently high public deficits. However, the SGP in its present form is not sufficiently stringent to prevent excessive deficits. Even worse, it is shown that its relevance is constantly eroded. To save the SGP sanctions have to be imposed if the nominal deficit criterion is violated. Relying on structurally adjusted deficits would make the SGP less transparent and reduce pressure on national governments to balance their budgets even further.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Keplerstr. 17, 72074 Tübingen|
Web page: http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/en/faculties/wirtschafts-und-sozialwissenschaftliche-fakultaet/faecher/wirtschaftswissenschaft.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gordon, Robert J., 1989. "Comments 'political and economic determinants of budget deficits in the industrial democracies' by N. Roubini and J.D. Sachs," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 934-938, May.
- Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1998. "The Stability Pact: more than a minor nuisance?," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 13(26), pages 65-113, 04.
- Welsch Heinz, 2000. "Domestic Fiscal Policy in a Monetary Union: What are the Spillovers? / Fiskalpolitik in einer Währungsunion: Internationale Auswirkungen," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), De Gruyter, vol. 220(3), pages 327-342, June.
- Alberto Alesina & Roberto Perotti, 1995. "The Political Economy of Budget Deficits," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 42(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Roubini, Nouriel & Sachs, Jeffrey D., 1989. "Political and economic determinants of budget deficits in the industrial democracies," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 903-933, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuedps:267. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.