Ethnic minority self-employment in Germany: Geographical distribution and determinants of regional variation
In Germany self-employment among foreigners increased significantly in recent years. We study the geographical distribution of ethnic minority self-employment in Germany and find determinants for variations in start-up activities across 440 administrative German regions. We analyze the Statistic of Business Notifications and provide an extensive overview about start-up activities of foreigners in the time period 2001-2005. Moreover we apply a count data model on the number of business registrations in a particular region. We find that business foundations by foreigners are mainly enhanced by population growth, a higher population density and a large fraction of foreigners on overall population.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ulmenstr. 69, 18057 Rostock|
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-rostock.de/en/econ/department-of-economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amelie Constant & Klaus Zimmermann, 2006.
"The Making of Entrepreneurs in Germany: Are Native Men and Immigrants Alike?,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 279-300, 04.
- Constant, Amelie F. & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2004. "The Making of Entrepreneurs in Germany: Are Native Men and Immigrants Alike?," IZA Discussion Papers 1440, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Edward P. Lazear, 2002.
NBER Working Papers
9109, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joachim Wagner & Rolf Sternberg, 2004. "Start-up activities, individual characteristics, and the regional milieu: Lessons for entrepreneurship support policies from German micro data," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 38(2), pages 219-240, 06.
- Michael Fritsch & Oliver Falck, 2003. "New Firm Formation by Industry over Space and Time: A Multi-Level Analysis," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 322, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Brixy, Udo & Grotz, Reinhold, 2006. "Regional patterns and determinants of new firm formation and survival in western Germany," IAB Discussion Paper 200605, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Fritsch, Michael & Falck, Oliver, .
"New firm formation by industry over space and time: a multi-level analysis for Germany,"
Chapters in Economics,
University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Fritsch, Michael & Falck, Oliver, 2002. "New firm formation by industry over space and time: a multi-level analysis for Germany," ERSA conference papers ersa02p486, European Regional Science Association.
- Lundberg, S.J. & Startz, R., 1996.
"Inequality and Race: Models and Policy,"
96-04, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Shelly Lundberg & Richard Startz, 1998. "Inequality and Race: Models and Policy," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 0067, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Lundberg, S.J. & Startz, R., 1996. "Inequality and Race: Models and Policy," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 96-04, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Shelly Lundberg & Richard Startz, 1998. "Inequality and Race: Models and Policy," Working Papers 0067, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Sahin, Mediha & Nijkamp, Peter & Baycan-Levent, Tuzin, 2006. "Migrant Entrepreneurship from the Perspective of Cultural Diversity," Serie Research Memoranda 0016, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Amelie Constant & Yochanan Shachmurove, 2005. "The comparison of incomes of self-employed and salaried workers among German Nationals and immigrants," PIER Working Paper Archive 05-030, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Belaid Rettab & Belaid Rettab, 2001. "The Emergence of ethnic entrepreneurship: a conceptual framework," Scales Research Reports H200103, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Clark, Kenneth & Drinkwater, Stephen, 2000. "Pushed out or pulled in? Self-employment among ethnic minorities in England and Wales," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 603-628, September.
- Amelie Constant & Yochanan Shachmurove & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2005. "The Role of Turkish Immigrants in Entrepreneurial Activities in Germany," PIER Working Paper Archive 05-029, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:roswps:100. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.