Management takeover battles and the role of the golden handshake
The effect of severance pay on management behavior during a takeover battle is generally ambiguous. Yet, the severance payment completely restraining all influence activities always constitutes a golden handshake. The manager leaving office still benefits from the increase in the merged firm's total value. Moreover, given that the managers are compensated according to an identical linear incentive scheme, the optimal shareholder policy always entails a corner solution. Managers will either receive no severance pay, or the payment will be chosen such that their influence activities equal zero. Relatively strong incentive intensities and low synergy gains then imply that offering no severance pay dominates.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: D-78457 Konstanz|
Phone: +49 7531 88 2314
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-konstanz.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Herschel Grossman, 2000.
"The Creation of Effective Property Rights,"
2000-15, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- William N. Pugh & Sharon L. Oswald & John S. Jahera Jr., 2000. "The effect of ESOP adoptions on corporate performance: are there really performance changes?," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(5), pages 167-180.
- Nitzan, Shmuel, 1994. "Modelling rent-seeking contests," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 41-60, May.
- Dann, Larry Y. & DeAngelo, Harry, 1988. "Corporate financial policy and corporate control : A study of defensive adjustments in asset and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 87-127, January.
- Atreya Chakraborty & Richard Arnott, 1997.
"Takeover Defenses and Dilution: A Welfare Analysis,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
351., Boston College Department of Economics, revised 06 Oct 2000.
- Chakraborty, Atreya & Arnott, Richard, 2001. "Takeover Defenses and Dilution: A Welfare Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(03), pages 311-334, September.
- Denis, David J. & Serrano, Jan M., 1996. "Active investors and management turnover following unsuccessful control contests," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 239-266, February.
- Uma V. Sridharan & Marc R. Reinganum, 1995. "Determinants of the Choice of the Hostile Takeover Mechanism: An Empirical Analysis of Tender Offers and Proxy Contests," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 24(1), Spring.
- Jensen, Michael C & Murphy, Kevin J, 1990.
"Performance Pay and Top-Management Incentives,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 225-64, April.
- Rajdeep Singh, 1995.
"Takeover Bidding with Toeholds: The Case of the Owner's Curse,"
- Singh, Rajdeep, 1998. "Takeover Bidding with Toeholds: The Case of the Owner's Curse," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(4), pages 679-704.
- M. Mark Walker, 2000. "Corporate Takeovers, Strategic Objectives and Acquring Firm Shareholder Wealth," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 29(1), Spring.
- Jack Hirshleifer, 1989. "Conflict and rent-seeking success functions: Ratio vs. difference models of relative success," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 63(2), pages 101-112, November.
- Denis, David J & Denis, Diane K, 1995. " Performance Changes Following Top Management Dismissals," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-57, September.
- Burkart, Mike, 1995. " Initial Shareholdings and Overbidding in Takeover Contests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1491-1515, December.
- Paul Bolster & Don Chance & Don Rich, 1996. "Executive Equity Swaps and Corporate Insider Holdings," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 25(2), Summer.
- Cornu, P. & Isakov, D., 1998.
"The Deterring Role of the Medium of Payment in Takeover Contests: Theory and Evidence from the UK,"
98.16, Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales, Universite de Geneve-.
- Philippe Cornu & Dusan Isakov*, 2000. "The Deterring Role of the Medium of Payment in Takeover Contests: Theory and Evidence from the UK," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 6(4), pages 423-440.
- Cramton, Peter & Schwartz, Alan, 1991.
"Using Auction Theory to Inform Takeover Regulation,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 7(1), pages 27-53, Spring.
- Peter Cramton & Alan Schwartz, 1991. "Using Auction Theory to Inform Takeover Regulation," Papers of Peter Cramton 91jleo, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 09 Jun 1998.
- Yermack, David, 1995. "Do corporations award CEO stock options effectively?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2-3), pages 237-269.
- Denis, David J, 1990. " Defensive Changes in Corporate Payout Policy: Share Repurchases and Special Dividends," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(5), pages 1433-56, December.
- Chowdhry, Bhagwan & Nanda, Vikram, 1993. " The Strategic Role of Debt in Takeover Contests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(2), pages 731-45, June.
- Stulz, ReneM., 1988. "Managerial control of voting rights : Financing policies and the market for corporate control," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 25-54, January.
- Marcel Canoy & Yohanes E. Riyanto & Patrick Van Cayseele, 2000. "Corporate takeovers, bargaining and managers' incentives to invest," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 1-18.
- North, David S., 2001. "The role of managerial incentives in corporate acquisitions: the 1990s evidence," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 125-149, June.
- Choi, Yoon K., 2001. "Management turnover and executive compensation in synergistic takeovers," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 223-238.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:kondp1:319. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.