Takeover Contests, Toeholds and Deterrence
We consider a setting in which two potential buyers, one with a prior toehold and one without, compete in a takeover modeled as an ascending auction with participating costs. The toeholder is more aggressive during the takeover process because she is also a seller of her own shares. The non-toeholder anticipates this extra-aggressiveness of the toeholder. Thus, he is deterred from participating unless he has a high valuation for the target company. This leads to large inefficiency losses. For many configurations, expected target returns are first increasing then decreasing in the size of the toehold.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Publication status:||Published in Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley, 2009, 111 (1), pp.103-124|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00702428|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emiel Maasland & Sander Onderstal, 2003.
"Auctions with Financial Externalities,"
2003.30, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- David Ettinger, 2008.
"Auctions and shareholdings,"
- Tan, Guofu & Yilankaya, Okan, 2006.
"Equilibria in second price auctions with participation costs,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 130(1), pages 205-219, September.
- Guofu Tan & Okan Yilankaya, 2005. "Equilibria in Second Price Auctions with Participation Costs," IEPR Working Papers 05.7, Institute of Economic Policy Research (IEPR).
- Tan, Guofu & Yilankaya, Okan, 2004. "Equilibria in Second Price Auctions with Participation Costs," Microeconomics.ca working papers tan-04-01-24-10-08-06, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 09 Jun 2006.
- Eckbo, B. Espen & Langohr, Herwig, 1989. "Information disclosure, method of payment, and takeover premiums : Public and private tender offers in France," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 363-403.
- Betton, Sandra & Eckbo, B Espen, 2000. "Toeholds, Bid Jumps, and Expected Payoffs in Takeovers," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 841-882.
- Betton, Sandra & Eckbo, B Espen & Thorburn, Karin S, 2005. "The Toehold Puzzle," CEPR Discussion Papers 5084, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rajdeep Singh, 1995.
"Takeover Bidding with Toeholds: The Case of the Owner's Curse,"
- Singh, Rajdeep, 1998. "Takeover Bidding with Toeholds: The Case of the Owner's Curse," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(4), pages 679-704.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2008:i:90:p:09 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00702428. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.