CVaR sensitivity with respect to tail thickness
We consider the sensitivity of conditional value-at-risk (CVaR) with respect to the tail index assuming regularly varying tails and exponential and faster-than-exponential tail decay for the return distribution. We compare it to the CVaR sensitivity with respect to the scale parameter for stable Paretian, the Student's t, and generalized Gaussian laws and discuss implications for the modeling of daily returns and marginal rebalancing decisions. Finally, we explore empirically the impact on the asymptotic variability of the CVaR estimator with daily returns which is a standard choice for the return frequency for risk estimation.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.wiwi.kit.edu/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Young Shin & Rachev, Svetlozar T. & Bianchi, Michele Leonardo & Fabozzi, Frank J., 2011.
"Tempered stable and tempered infinitely divisible GARCH models,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
28, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Department of Economics and Business Engineering.
- Shin Kim, Young & Rachev, Svetlozar T. & Leonardo Bianchi, Michele & Fabozzi, Frank J., 2010. "Tempered stable and tempered infinitely divisible GARCH models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 2096-2109, September.
- Keith Kuester & Stefan Mittnik & Marc S. Paolella, 2006. "Value-at-Risk Prediction: A Comparison of Alternative Strategies," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(1), pages 53-89.
- Chen, Carl R. & Su, Yuli & Huang, Ying, 2008. "Hourly index return autocorrelation and conditional volatility in an EAR-GJR-GARCH model with generalized error distribution," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 789-798, September.
- Haas, Markus & Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S., 2005.
"Modeling and predicting market risk with Laplace-Gaussian mixture distributions,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2005/11, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Markus Haas & Stefan Mittnik & Marc Paolella, 2006. "Modelling and predicting market risk with Laplace-Gaussian mixture distributions," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(15), pages 1145-1162.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S. & Rachev, Svetlozar T., 2002. "Stationarity of stable power-GARCH processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 97-107, January.
- Mittnik, Stefan & Paolella, Marc S., 2003. "Prediction of Financial Downside-Risk with Heavy-Tailed Conditional Distributions," CFS Working Paper Series 2003/04, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- L. Jeff Hong & Guangwu Liu, 2009. "Simulating Sensitivities of Conditional Value at Risk," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(2), pages 281-293, February.
- Kim, Young Shin & Rachev, Svetlozar T. & Bianchi, Michele Leonardo & Fabozzi, Frank J., 2008. "Financial market models with Lévy processes and time-varying volatility," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1363-1378, July.
- Michael Grabchak & Gennady Samorodnitsky, 2010. "Do financial returns have finite or infinite variance? A paradox and an explanation," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(8), pages 883-893.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:kitwps:29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.