Crisis, structural reform and the dismantling of the European Social Model(s)
Following ECB-president Draghi's remark that the European Social Model does no longer exist and the crisis can only be overcome through a combination of austerity and structural reform, this paper examines the consequences of austerity measures and structural reforms adopted during the crisis in a number of EU member states. The hypothesis is that the juxtaposition of the end of the European Social Model on the one hand, and austerity and structural reform on the other was well chosen. In fact austerity and the structural reforms amount to a veritable attack on the foundations of the European Social Model. The first part of the essay summarizes the discussion on the European Social Model, while the second part describes and compares major austerity measures and structural reforms adopted during the crisis. The third part discusses the impact of the newly established European Economic Governance structure on national economic and social policies. The fourth part deals with the consequences of austerity and structural reform, including for poverty and inequality. The essay ends with some reflections on the role of solidarity and the future of the European Social Model.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ipe-berlin.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James S. Mosher & David M. Trubek, 2003. "Alternative Approaches to Governance in the EU: EU Social Policy and the European Employment Strategy," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 63-88, 03.
- André Sapir, 2005.
"Globalisation and the reform of European social models,"
- André Sapir, 2006. "Globalization and the Reform of European Social Models," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 369-390, 06.
- André Sapir, 2006. "Globalisation and the reform of European social models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8112, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- André Sapir, 2006. "Globalization and the reform of European social models," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/167139, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Damian Grimshaw, 2013. "Austerity, privatization and levelling down: Public sector reforms in the United Kingdom," Chapters, in: Public Sector Shock, chapter 15, pages 576-626 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2011.
"Peripheral Europe’s Debt and German Wages. The Role of Wage Policy in the Euro Area,"
29, Research on Money and Finance.
- Engelbert Stockhammer, 2011. "Peripheral Europe's debt and German wages: the role of wage policy in the Euro area," International Journal of Public Policy, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 7(1/2/3), pages 83-96.
- Scharpf, Fritz W., 2002. "The European Social Model: Coping with the challenges of diversity," MPIfG Working Paper 02/8, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies.
- John Grahl & Paul Teague, 2013. "Reconstructing the eurozone: the role of EU social policy," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(3), pages 677-692.
- Hein, Eckhard, 2012.
"Finance-dominated capitalism, re-distribution and the financial and economic crises - a European perspective,"
35903, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hein, Eckhard, 2012. "Finance-dominated capitalism, re-distribution and the financial and economic crises: A European perspective," IPE Working Papers 14/2012, Berlin School of Economics and Law, Institute for International Political Economy (IPE).
- Jens Alber, 2006. "The European Social Model and the United States," European Union Politics, SAGE Publishing, vol. 7(3), pages 393-419, September.
- Lydia FRAILE, 2009. "Lessons from Latin America's neo-liberal experiment: An overview of labour and social policies since the 1980s," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 148(3), pages 215-233, 09.
- Eckhard Hein & Achim Truger & Till van Treeck, 2011. "The European Financial and Economic Crisis: Alternative Solutions from a (Post-) Keynesian Perspective," IMK Working Paper 9-2011, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ipewps:262013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.