The ASEAN Economic Community and the European experience
In November 2002, it was proposed at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Heads of Government meeting in Phnom Penh that the region should consider the possibility of creating an ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) by 2020. The name is evocative, for an Economic Community immediately brings to mind the European experience. In fact, when the Asian Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) was re-inventing itself, it was proposed that the words behind the organization's acronym be replaced with Asia-Pacific Economic Community. This idea was rejected explicitly for fear that it would give the impression that APEC was intending to move in the direction of the EC model, which was thought to be too controversial.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Heimhuder Str. 71, D-20148 Hamburg|
Phone: +49 (0)40 34 05 76 - 0
Fax: +49 (0)40 34 05 76 - 776
Web page: http://www.hwwi.org/en/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1998.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1009-1025, July.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," NBER Working Papers 5700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," CEPR Discussion Papers 1473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael G. Plummer & Reid W. Click, 2005. "Bond market development and integration in ASEAN," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(2), pages 133-142.
- Guonan Ma & Eli Remolona, 2009. "Learning by Doing in Market Reform: Lessons from a Regional Bond Fund," Chapters,in: Towards Monetary and Financial Integration in East Asia, chapter 4 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Ma, Guonan & Remolona, Eli M., 2006. "Learning by doing in market reform: Lessons from a regional bond fund," HWWI Research Papers 2-6, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Andrew K. Rose, 2004. "Do We Really Know That the WTO Increases Trade?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 98-114, March.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2002. "Do We Really KNow that the WTO Increases Trade?," Working Papers 182002, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Andrew K. Rose, 2002. "Do We Really Know that the WTO Increases Trade?," NBER Working Papers 9273, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rose, Andrew K, 2002. "Do We Really Know that the WTO Increases Trade?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3538, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael G. Plummer, 2002. "The EU and ASEAN: Real Integration and Lessons in Financial Cooperation," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(10), pages 1469-1500, November.
- Click, Reid W. & Plummer, Michael G., 2005. "Stock market integration in ASEAN after the Asian financial crisis," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 5-28, February.
- Hiemenz, Ulrich (Ed.) & Gundlach, Erich (Ed.), 1994. "Regional integration in Europe and its effects on developing countries," Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy 794, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Pomfret, Richard, 2001. "The Economics of Regional Trading Arrangements," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199248872.
- Kawai, Masahiro, 2005. "East Asian economic regionalism: progress and challenges," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 29-55, February.
- Jonathan Story & Ingo Walter, 1997. "Political Economy of Financial Integration in Europe: The Battle of the Systems," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262692031, July.
- Patrick A. Messerlin, 2001. "Measuring the Costs of Protection in Europe: European Commercial Policy in the 2000s," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 102, November.
- Plummer, Michael G., 2003. "Structural change in a globalized Asia: macro trends and US policy challenges," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 243-281, April.
- Plummer, Michael G., 2006. "Toward Win-Win Regionalism in Asia: Issues and Challenges in Forming Efficient Trade Agreements," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 5, Asian Development Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)