India’s Role in South Asia Trade and Investment Integration
Recent developments in South Asian countries, especially the re-emergence of democratic governments, new growth momentum despite the global economic downturn and greater openness, warrant a fresh look at the region’s prospects for economic integration. On the basis of a thorough review of the literature on potential and prospects of regional integration in South Asia and after examining the trends in intra-SAARC trade and investment flows, this paper finds that the progress in regional cooperation has been far short of potential. The paper, therefore, focuses on the ‘real impediments’ to regional integration and on that basis makes a set of policy oriented recommendations for furthering deeper regional integration in South Asia. It also emphasizes that given its dominant size, human resources, and aspirations for a global role, India will have to take on a disproportionately larger responsibility for promoting regional cooperation in South Asia. However, regional integration will not be achieved by India’s unilateral actions alone. Neighboring governments will have to respond positively to Indian initiatives for successful regional integration in South Asia.
|Date of creation:||01 Jul 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: (63-2) 636-2648
Web page: http://www.adb.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Plummer, Michael G. & Click, Reid W., 2006.
"The ASEAN Economic Community and the European experience,"
HWWI Research Papers
2-4, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Michael G. Plummer & Reid W. Click, 2009. "The ASEAN Economic Community and the European Experience," Chapters, in: Towards Monetary and Financial Integration in East Asia, chapter 1 Edward Elgar.
- Plummer, Michael G., 2006. "The ASEAN Economic Community and the European Experience," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 1, Asian Development Bank.
- Hassan, M. Kabir, 2001. "Is SAARC a viable economic block? evidence from gravity model," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 263-290.
- Wilson, John S. & Otsuki, Tsunehiro, 2007. "Regional integration in South Asia : what role for trade facilitation ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4423, The World Bank.
- Aradhna Aggarwal, 2010.
"Regional Economic Integration and FDI in South Asia : Prospects and Problems,"
- Aradhna Aggarwal, 2008. "Regional Economic Integration and FDI in South Asia - Prospects and Problems," Macroeconomics Working Papers 22141, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Kabir, ASM, 2007. "Sanguinity and aspiration toward South Asian Regional integration: a case study of the South Asian Free Trade Area (SAFTA) Agreement," MPRA Paper 3871, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Das, Samantak & Pohit, Sanjib, . "Quantifying transport, regulatory and other costs of India–Bangladesh trade," Working Papers 92, National Council of Applied Economic Research.
- Rahman, Mohammad Mafizur, 2005. "Bangladesh-India Bilateral Trade: Causes of Imbalance and Measures for Improvement," Working Papers 1, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbrei:0032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivan B. de Leon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.