Effect of type of insurance and income on waiting time for outpatient care
This paper analyzes the impact of type of insurance, income, and reason for appointment on waiting time for an appointment and waiting time in the physician's practice in the outpatient sector. Data were obtained from a German patient survey conducted between 2007 and 2009. We differentiated between GP and specialist and controlled for socioeconomic, structural, and institutional characteristics as well as interactions between type of insurance and control variables. Our results reveal that private health insurance plays a significant role in faster access to care at GP and specialist practices. Access to care is also highly influenced by the reason for an appointment. We also found that increased income had a negative effect on waiting time in practices and on waiting time for an appointment in GP practices. Whether inequalities in access to health care also impact overall quality of treatment needs to be investigated in future research.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.hche.eu/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roll, Kathrin & Stargardt, Tom & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2011.
"Effect of type of insurance and income on waiting time for outpatient care,"
hche Research Papers
2011/03, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche), University of Hamburg.
- Kathrin Roll & Tom Stargardt & Jonas Schrey�gg, 2012. "Effect of Type of Insurance and Income on Waiting Time for Outpatient Care," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(4), pages 609-632, October.
- Roll, Kathrin & Stargardt, Tom & Schreyögg, Jonas, 2011. "Effect of type of insurance and income on waiting time for outpatient care," hche Research Papers 2011/03, Hamburg Center for Health Economics (hche), University of Hamburg.
- Walendzik, Anke & Greß, Stefan & Manouguian, Maral & Wasem, Jürgen, 2008. "Vergütungsunterschiede im ärztlichen Bereich zwischen PKV und GKV auf Basis des standardisierten Leistungsniveaus der GKV und Modelle der Vergütungsangleichung," IBES Diskussionsbeiträge 165, University of Duisburg-Essen, Institute of Business and Economic Studie (IBES).
- Jonas Schreyögg & Tom Stargardt & Oliver Tiemann & Reinhard Busse, 2006. "Methods to determine reimbursement rates for diagnosis related groups (DRG): A comparison of nine European countries," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 215-223, August.
- Luigi Siciliani & Rossella Verzulli, 2009. "Waiting times and socioeconomic status among elderly Europeans: evidence from SHARE," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(11), pages 1295-1306.
- Schoen, Cathy & Doty, Michelle M., 2004. "Inequities in access to medical care in five countries: findings from the 2001 Commonwealth Fund International Health Policy Survey," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 309-322, March.
- Sudano, Joseph J. & Baker, David W., 2006. "Explaining US racial/ethnic disparities in health declines and mortality in late middle age: The roles of socioeconomic status, health behaviors, and health insurance," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(4), pages 909-922, February.
- Friedrich Breyer, 2004.
"How to Finance Social Health Insurance: Issues in the German Reform Debate,"
The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 29(4), pages 679-688, October.
- Friedrich Breyer, 2004. "How to Finance Social Health Insurance: Issues in the German Reform Debate," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance, The International Association for the Study of Insurance Economics, vol. 29(4), pages 679-688, October.
- Sofia Dimakou & David Parkin & Nancy Devlin & John Appleby, 2009. "Identifying the impact of government targets on waiting times in the NHS," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 1-10, March.
- Gravelle, Hugh & Siciliani, Luigi, 2008. "Optimal quality, waits and charges in health insurance," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 663-674, May.
- Bishai, David M. & Lang, Hui Chu, 2000. "The willingness to pay for wait reduction: the disutility of queues for cataract surgery in Canada, Denmark, and Spain," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 219-230, March.
- Luigi Siciliani & Jeremy Hurst, 2003. "Explaining Waiting Times Variations for Elective Surgery Across OECD Countries," OECD Health Working Papers 7, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:hcherp:201103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.