Marketing and sales: Successful peacekeeping
Marketing and sales departments carry out two separate functions (Kotler et al. 2007, 1144); nevertheless, they must interact closely with each other, as both are essential parts for the marketing activities in each company. Each company has the goal to fulfill customer needs and also to match the company's sales target followed by financial success. The focus of this paper lies on defining the necessary terminology to analyze the subject matter, identifying the role of marketing and sales along the corporate value chain, understanding and modeling marketing and sales interfaces, identifying potential marketing-sales conflicts and suggesting resolution strategies taking a process-oriented approach. The topic is investigated from a theoretical perspective. Based on an in-depth review of the available body of literature a meta-analysis is conducted. First, an introduction to the theoretical foundations of marketing and sales in general is given. The terms marketing and sales are defined and it is outlined in which context they are used. Following, a literature review is given on the status of marketing and sales interaction in companies and an evaluation of the actual research status. Marketing and sales interaction is classified in two conceptual models to identify methods of addressing the status and characteristics. In a next step potential areas of conflicts between the two functions are identified and then proposals for solutions of potential conflicts are given. The last step includes also identification of key marketing and sales processes.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.esb-business-school.de/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krohmer, Harley & Homburg, Christian & Workman, John P., 2002. "Should marketing be cross-functional? Conceptual development and international empirical evidence," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(6), pages 451-465, June.
- Malshe, Avinash, 2010. "How is marketers' credibility construed within the sales-marketing interface?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 13-19, January.
- Kahn, Kenneth B. & Mentzer, John T., 1998. "Marketing's Integration with Other Departments," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 53-62, May.
- Griffin, Abbie. & Hauser, John R. & Griffin, Abbie, 1994. "Integrating R&D and marketing : a review and analysis of the literature," Working papers #112-94. Working paper (S, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Guenzi, Paolo & Troilo, Gabriele, 2007. "The joint contribution of marketing and sales to the creation of superior customer value," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 98-107, February.
- William E. Souder, 1977. "Effectiveness of Nominal and Interacting Group Decision Processes for Integrating R&D and Marketing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(6), pages 595-605, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:esbwmm:201111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.