A bayesian approach to model-based clustering for panel probit models
Consideration of latent heterogeneity is of special importance in non linear models for gauging correctly the effect of explaining variables on the dependent variable. This paper adopts the stratified model-based clustering approach for modeling latent heterogeneity for panel probit models. Within a Bayesian framework an estimation algorithm dealing with the inherent label switching problem is provided. Determination of the number of clusters is based on the marginal likelihood and out-of-sample criteria. The ability to decide on the correct number of clusters is assessed within a simulation study indicating high accuracy for both approaches. Different concepts of marginal effects incorporating latent heterogeneity at different degrees arise within the considered model setup and are directly at hand within Bayesian estimation via MCMC methodology. An empirical illustration of the developed methodology indicates that consideration of latent heterogeneity via latent clusters provides the preferred model specification compared to a pooled and a random coefficient specification.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: D-24098 Kiel,Wilhelm-Seelig-Platz 1|
Phone: 0431-880 3282
Fax: 0431-880 3150
Web page: http://www.vwl.uni-kiel.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frühwirth-Schnatter, Sylvia & Kaufmann, Sylvia, 2004.
"Model-based Clustering of Multiple Time Series,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4650, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chib S. & Jeliazkov I., 2001. "Marginal Likelihood From the Metropolis-Hastings Output," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 270-281, March.
- Chen, Jiahua & Khalili, Abbas, 2008. "Order Selection in Finite Mixture Models With a Nonsmooth Penalty," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1674-1683.
- Aßmann, Christian, 2007. "Determinants and Costs of Current Account Reversals under Heterogeneity and Serial Correlation," Economics Working Papers 2007,17, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Bertschek, Irene & Lechner, Michael, 1995.
"Convenient Estimators for the Panel Probit Model,"
528, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
- Lancaster, Tony, 2000. "The incidental parameter problem since 1948," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 391-413, April.
- Fraley C. & Raftery A.E., 2002. "Model-Based Clustering, Discriminant Analysis, and Density Estimation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 611-631, June.
- Ishwaran H. & James L.F. & Sun J., 2001. "Bayesian Model Selection in Finite Mixtures by Marginal Density Decompositions," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 96, pages 1316-1332, December.
- Mark S. Handcock & Adrian E. Raftery & Jeremy M. Tantrum, 2007. "Model-based clustering for social networks," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 170(2), pages 301-354.
- Surajit Ray & Bruce G. Lindsay, 2008. "Model selection in high dimensions: a quadratic-risk-based approach," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 70(1), pages 95-118.
- Dunson, David B. & Herring, Amy H. & Siega-Riz, Anna Maria, 2008. "Bayesian Inference on Changes in Response Densities Over Predictor Clusters," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 103(484), pages 1508-1517.
- Heard, Nicholas A. & Holmes, Christopher C. & Stephens, David A., 2006. "A Quantitative Study of Gene Regulation Involved in the Immune Response of Anopheline Mosquitoes: An Application of Bayesian Hierarchical Clustering of Curves," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 18-29, March.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- David Revelt & Kenneth Train, 1998. "Mixed Logit With Repeated Choices: Households' Choices Of Appliance Efficiency Level," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(4), pages 647-657, November.
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2005. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521848053, Junio.
- Matthew Stephens, 2000. "Dealing with label switching in mixture models," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(4), pages 795-809.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cauewp:200903. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.