Short-Term Capital, Economic Transformation, and EU Accession
One key focus of the on-going debate on the integration of international financial markets have been measures to lengthen the maturity of foreign debt, as short-term debt is typically considered to be highly volatile. The transition economies of Central and Eastern Europe are one group of countries for which policy lessons seem particularly urgent. Not only have these countries liberalized their capital accounts to a quite substantial degree already, membership in the European Union also implies that remaining controls to the free flow of capital will have to be abolished. This paper assesses the experience of the transition economies with liberalizing short-term capital flows, and it analyzes factors affecting the share of short-term capital.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0 69 / 95 66 - 34 55
Fax: 0 69 / 95 66 30 77
Web page: http://www.bundesbank.de/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudia M. Buch & Lusine Lusinyan, 2000. "Determinants of Short-Term Debt," Kiel Working Papers 994, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Sebastian Edwards, 2001. "Capital Mobility and Economic Performance: Are Emerging Economies Different?," NBER Working Papers 8076, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo, 1996.
"The new wave of private capital inflows: Push or pull?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 389-418, March.
- Fernandez-Arias, Eduardo & DEC, 1994. "The new wave of private capital inflows : push or pull?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1312, The World Bank.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Piazolo, Daniel, 2001.
"Capital and trade flows in Europe and the impact of enlargement,"
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 183-214, September.
- Claudia M. Buch & Daniel Piazolo, 2000. "Capital and Trade Flows in Europe and the Impact of Enlargement," Kiel Working Papers 1001, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:bubdp1:4167. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.