Tax loss offset restrictions and biased perception of risky investments
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Dominika Langenmayr & Rebecca Lester, 2013.
"Taxation and corporate risk-taking,"
1316, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Dominika Langenmayr & Rebecca Lester, 2017. "Taxation and Corporate Risk-Taking," CESifo Working Paper Series 6566, CESifo Group Munich.
- Langenmayr, Dominika & Lester, Rebecca, 2016. "Taxation and Corporate Risk-Taking," Research Papers 3470, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Langenmayr, Dominika & Lester, Rebecca, 2014. "Taxation and Corporate Risk-Taking," Discussion Papers in Economics 20977, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Paolo Panteghini, 2001. "On Corporate Tax Asymmetries and Neutrality," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 2(3), pages 269-286, August.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. "Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Han Bleichrodt & Jose Luis Pinto, 2000. "A Parameter-Free Elicitation of the Probability Weighting Function in Medical Decision Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(11), pages 1485-1496, November.
- Jaroslava Hlouskova & Jana Mikocziova & Rudolf Sivak & Peter Tsigaris, 2014. "Capital Income Taxation and Risk-Taking under Prospect Theory: The Continuous Distribution Case," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 64(5), pages 374-391, November.
- Chang, Otto H. & Nichols, Donald R. & Schultz, Joseph J., 1987. "Taxpayer attitudes toward tax audit risk," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 299-309, September.
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Gollier, Christian & Schlesinger, Harris, 1997.
"The no-loss offset provision and the attitude towards risk of a risk-neutral firm,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 207-217, August.
- Eeckhoudt, L. & Gollier, C. & Schlesinger, H., 1996. "The No Loss Offset Provision and the Attitude Towards Risk of a Risk-Neutral Firm," Papers 96.409, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Ravi Kanbur & Jukka Pirttilä & Matti Tuomala, 2008.
"Moral Hazard, Income Taxation and Prospect Theory,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 110(2), pages 321-337, June.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Pirttila, Jukka & Tuomala, Matti, 2004. "Moral Hazard, Income Taxation, And Prospect Theory," Working Papers 127136, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Ravi Kanbur & Jukka Pirttilä & Matti Tuomala, 2004. "Moral Hazard, Income Taxation, and Prospect Theory," Working Papers 0430, University of Tampere, School of Management, Economics.
- J. E. Stiglitz, 1969.
"The Effects of Income, Wealth, and Capital Gains Taxation on Risk-Taking,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 83(2), pages 263-283.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1968. "The Effects of Income, Wealth, and Capital Gains Taxation on Risk Taking," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 248, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Robben, Henry S. J. & Webley, Paul & Weigel, Russell H. & Warneryd, Karl-Erik & Kinsey, Karyl A. & Hessing, Dick J. & Martin, Francisco Alvira & Elffers, Henk & Wahlund, Richard & Van Langenhove, Luk, 1990. "Decision frame and opportunity as determinants of tax cheating : An international experimental study," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 341-364, September.
- Langer, Thomas & Weber, Martin, 2005. "Myopic prospect theory vs. myopic loss aversion: how general is the phenomenon?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 25-38, January.
- Jaroslava Hlouskova & Panagiotis Tsigaris, 2012.
"Capital income taxation and risk taking under prospect theory,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 19(4), pages 554-573, August.
- Hlouskova, Jaroslava & Tsigaris, Panagiotis, 2012. "Capital Income Taxation and Risk Taking under Prospect Theory," Economics Series 283, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Ulrich Schmidt & Horst Zank, 2012. "A genuine foundation for prospect theory," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 97-113, October.
- Alexander Ljungqvist & Liandong Zhang & Luo Zuo, 2017.
"Sharing Risk with the Government: How Taxes Affect Corporate Risk Taking,"
Journal of Accounting Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 669-707, June.
- Alexander Ljungqvist & Liandong Zhang & Luo Zuo, 2015. "Sharing Risk with the Government: How Taxes Affect Corporate Risk Taking," NBER Working Papers 21834, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bonds, Stephen R. & Devereux, Michael P., 1995.
"On the design of a neutral business tax under uncertainty,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 57-71, September.
- Stephen Bond & Michael Devereux, 1993. "On the design of a neutral business tax under uncertainty," IFS Working Papers W93/01, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Martin Jacob & Andreas Pasedag & Franz W. Wagner, 2011. "Werden niedrige Steuersätze in Osteuropa durch Verzicht auf Verlustverrechnung erkauft?," Perspektiven der Wirtschaftspolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(1), pages 72-91, February.
- Mackie-Mason, Jeffrey K., 1990. "Some nonlinear tax effects on asset values and investment decisions under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 301-327, August.
- Han Bleichrodt & Jose Luis Pinto & Peter P. Wakker, 2001. "Making Descriptive Use of Prospect Theory to Improve the Prescriptive Use of Expected Utility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(11), pages 1498-1514, November.
- Cooper, Michael & Knittel, Matthew, 2006. "Partial Loss Refundability: How Are Corporate Tax Losses Used?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 59(3), pages 651-663, September.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Keen, Michael & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1994.
"Corporation tax asymmetries and investment : Evidence from U.K. panel data,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 395-418, March.
- Michael Devereux, 1991. "Corporation Tax Asymmetries and Investment: Evidence from UK Panel Data," Working Papers 820, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Sandmo, Agnar, 1989. "Differential taxation and the encouragement of risk-taking," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 55-59.
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1969. "The Effects on Taxation on Risk Taking," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(5), pages 755-764, Sept./Oct.
- repec:wly:coacre:v:28:y:2011:i:2:p:472-486 is not listed on IDEAS
- Peter P. Wakker, 2003. "The Data of Levy and Levy (2002) ÜProspect Theory: Much Ado About Nothing?Ý Actually Support Prospect Theory," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(7), pages 979-981, July.
- Evsey D. Domar & Richard A. Musgrave, 1944. "Proportional Income Taxation and Risk-Taking," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(3), pages 388-422.
- Daniel Ellsberg, 1961. "Risk, Ambiguity, and the Savage Axioms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 75(4), pages 643-669.
- Thomas Gries & Ulrich Prior & Caren Sureth, 2012. "A Tax Paradox for Investment Decisions under Uncertainty," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 14(3), pages 521-545, June.
- Kobberling, Veronika & Wakker, Peter P., 2005. "An index of loss aversion," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 119-131, May.
- Michael Kilka & Martin Weber, 2001.
"What Determines the Shape of the Probability Weighting Function Under Uncertainty?,"
INFORMS, vol. 47(12), pages 1712-1726, December.
- Kilka, Michael & Weber, Martin, 1998. "What Determines the Shape of the Probability Weighting Function under Uncertainty?," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 98-11, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Niemann, Rainer & Sureth, Caren, 2004. "Tax neutrality under irreversibility and risk aversion," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 43-47, July.
- Rainer Niemann & Caren Sureth, 2013. "Sooner or Later? -- Paradoxical Investment Effects of Capital Gains Taxation under Simultaneous Investment and Abandonment Flexibility," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(2), pages 367-390, June.
- Edgerton, Jesse, 2010. "Investment incentives and corporate tax asymmetries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(11-12), pages 936-952, December.
More about this item
Keywordsasymmetric taxation; investment decisions; loss offset restrictions; perception bias; risktaking; tax effects; tax losses; prospect theory; behavioral taxation;
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Micro-Based Behavioral Economics - - - Role and Effects of Psychological, Emotional, Social, and Cognitive Factors on Decision Making
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2017-11-19 (All new papers)
- NEP-PBE-2017-11-19 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2017-11-19 (Public Finance)
- NEP-UPT-2017-11-19 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:arqudp:222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics). General contact details of provider: http://www.arqus.info/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.