Turning green: Agent-based modeling of the adoption of dynamic electricity tariffs
Using an agent-based modeling approach we study the temporal dynamics of consumer opinions regarding switching to dynamic electricity tariffs and the actual decisions to switch. We assume that the decision to switch is based on the unanimity of $\tau$ past opinions. The resulting model explains why there is such a big discrepancy between consumer opinions, as measured by market surveys, and the actual participation in pilot programs and the adoption of dynamic tariffs. We argue that due to the high indifference level in today's retail electricity markets, customer opinions are very unstable and change frequently. The conducted simulation study shows that reducing the indifference level can result in narrowing the intention-behavior gap. A similar effect can be achieved by decreasing the decision time that a consumer takes to make a decision.
|Date of creation:||04 Nov 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Wybrzeze Wyspianskiego 27, 50-370 Wroclaw|
Web page: http://prac.im.pwr.wroc.pl/~hugo
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scarpa, Riccardo & Willis, Ken, 2010. "Willingness-to-pay for renewable energy: Primary and discretionary choice of British households' for micro-generation technologies," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 129-136, January.
- McMichael, Megan & Shipworth, David, 2013. "The value of social networks in the diffusion of energy-efficiency innovations in UK households," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 159-168.
- Gangale, Flavia & Mengolini, Anna & Onyeji, Ijeoma, 2013. "Consumer engagement: An insight from smart grid projects in Europe," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 621-628.
- Thorsnes, Paul & Williams, John & Lawson, Rob, 2012. "Consumer responses to time varying prices for electricity," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 552-561.
- Ajzen, Icek, 1991. "The theory of planned behavior," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 179-211, December.
- Anna Kowalska-Pyzalska & Katarzyna Maciejowska & Katarzyna Sznajd-Weron & Rafal Weron, 2013. "Going green: Agent-based modeling of the diffusion of dynamic electricity tariffs," HSC Research Reports HSC/13/05, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Katarzyna Sznajd-Weron & Rafal Weron, 2003.
"How effective is advertising in duopoly markets?,"
- Sznajd-Weron, K. & Weron, R., 2003. "How effective is advertising in duopoly markets?," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 437-444.
- Berninghaus, Siegfried K. & Haller, Sven & Krüger, Tyll & Neumann, Thomas & Schosser, Stephan & Vogt, Bodo, 2010.
"Risk attitude, beliefs, and information in a corruption game: An experimental analysis,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
6, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Department of Economics and Business Engineering.
- Berninghaus, Siegfried K. & Haller, Sven & Krüger, Tyll & Neumann, Thomas & Schosser, Stephan & Vogt, Bodo, 2013. "Risk attitude, beliefs, and information in a Corruption Game – An experimental analysis," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 46-60.
- Siegfried K. Berninghaus & Sven Haller & Tyll Krüger & Thomas Neumann & Stephan Schosser & Bodo Vogt, 2012. "Risk Attitude, Beliefs, and Information in a Corruption Game - An Experimental Analysis," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-033, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Diaz-Rainey, Ivan & Tzavara, Dionisia, 2012. "Financing the decarbonized energy system through green electricity tariffs: A diffusion model of an induced consumer environmental market," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 79(9), pages 1693-1704.
- Piotr Przybyła & Katarzyna Sznajd-Weron & Rafał Weron, 2014.
"Diffusion Of Innovation Within An Agent-Based Model: Spinsons, Independence And Advertising,"
Advances in Complex Systems (ACS),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 17(01), pages 1-22.
- Piotr Przybyla & Katarzyna Sznajd-Weron & Rafal Weron, 2013. "Diffusion of innovation within an agent-based model: Spinsons, independence and advertising," HSC Research Reports HSC/13/04, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Weyant, John P., 2011. "Accelerating the development and diffusion of new energy technologies: Beyond the "valley of death"," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 674-682, July.
- Gyberg, Per & Palm, Jenny, 2009. "Influencing households' energy behaviour--how is this done and on what premises?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2807-2813, July.
- Guillaume Deffuant & Frederic Amblard, 2003. "Simple is Beautiful? and Necessary," Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, vol. 6(1), pages 1-6.
- Dütschke, Elisabeth & Paetz, Alexandra-Gwyn, 2013. "Dynamic electricity pricing—Which programs do consumers prefer?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 226-234.
- Ernst Fehr & Urs Fischbacher, 2002. "Why Social Preferences Matter -- The Impact of Non-Selfish Motives on Competition, Cooperation and Incentives," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(478), pages 1-33, March.
- Jager, Wander, 2006. "Stimulating the diffusion of photovoltaic systems: A behavioural perspective," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(14), pages 1935-1943, September.
- Gadenne, David & Sharma, Bishnu & Kerr, Don & Smith, Tim, 2011. "The influence of consumers' environmental beliefs and attitudes on energy saving behaviours," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 7684-7694.
- Stephenson, Janet & Barton, Barry & Carrington, Gerry & Gnoth, Daniel & Lawson, Rob & Thorsnes, Paul, 2010. "Energy cultures: A framework for understanding energy behaviours," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 6120-6129, October.
- Baddeley, M., 2011. "Energy, the Environment and Behaviour Change: A survey of insights from behavioural economics," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1162, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Allcott, Hunt, 2011. "Social norms and energy conservation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(9-10), pages 1082-1095, October.
- Zhang, T. & Nuttall, W.J., 2008. "Evaluating Government’s Policies on Promoting Smart Metering in Retail Electricity Markets via Agent Based Simulation," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0842, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Anna Kowalska-Pyzalska & Katarzyna Maciejowska & Katarzyna Sznajd-Weron & Rafal Weron, 2014. "Modeling consumer opinions towards dynamic pricing: An agent-based approach," HSC Research Reports HSC/14/06, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Faruqui, Ahmad & George, Stephen, 2005. "Quantifying Customer Response to Dynamic Pricing," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 53-63, May.
- Katarzyna Sznajd-Weron, 2005. "Sznajd model and its applications," HSC Research Reports HSC/05/04, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology.
- Alexandra-Gwyn Paetz & Elisabeth Dütschke & Wolf Fichtner, 2012. "Smart Homes as a Means to Sustainable Energy Consumption: A Study of Consumer Perceptions," Journal of Consumer Policy, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 23-41, March.
- Darby, Sarah J. & McKenna, Eoghan, 2012. "Social implications of residential demand response in cool temperate climates," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 759-769.
- Strbac, Goran, 2008. "Demand side management: Benefits and challenges," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 4419-4426, December.
- Bryan Bollinger & Kenneth Gillingham, 2012. "Peer Effects in the Diffusion of Solar Photovoltaic Panels," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(6), pages 900-912, November.
- Sidiras, Dimitrios K. & Koukios, Emmanuel G., 2004. "Solar systems diffusion in local markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(18), pages 2007-2018, December.
- Ian Ayres & Sophie Raseman & Alice Shih, 2009. "Evidence from Two Large Field Experiments that Peer Comparison Feedback Can Reduce Residential Energy Usage," NBER Working Papers 15386, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zarnikau, Jay, 2003. "Consumer demand for `green power' and energy efficiency," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(15), pages 1661-1672, December.
- Allcott, Hunt, 2011. "Social norms and energy conservation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(9), pages 1082-1095.
- Maya Sopha, Bertha & Klöckner, Christian A. & Hertwich, Edgar G., 2011. "Exploring policy options for a transition to sustainable heating system diffusion using an agent-based simulation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 2722-2729, May.
- Greenleaf, Eric A & Lehmann, Donald R, 1995. " Reasons for Substantial Delay in Consumer Decision Making," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(2), pages 186-199, September.
- Ahmad Faruqui & Sanem Sergici, 2010. "Household response to dynamic pricing of electricity: a survey of 15 experiments," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 193-225, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wuu:wpaper:hsc1310. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rafal Weron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.