Industry structure dynamics and productivity growth
Economic theory typically predicts that productivity should increase when a firm’s market is expanding since the benefits of reducing costs are higher when spread across a larger market. On the other hand there is a strong line of research stressing the positive impact of increasing competition and claiming that productivity should jump when a firm’s market is being squeezed by new compe titors. This paper investigates the effects of industry structure dynamics on productivity growth on panel data from industries of ten European countries. The econometric results provide empirical support for p ositive impact of less fragmented market stru ctures on productivity, however results also point out the important role which dynamics of firms turnover play in industry performance.
|Date of creation:||04 Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + (48)(22) 49 12 51
Fax: + (48)(22) 49 53 12
Web page: http://www.sgh.waw.pl/instytuty/zes
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003.
"Regulation, productivity and growth: OECD evidence,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(36), pages 9-72, 04.
- Giuseppe Nicoletti & Stefano Scarpetta, 2003. "Regulation, Productivity and Growth: OECD Evidence," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 347, OECD Publishing.
- Nicoletti, Giuseppe & Scarpetta, Stefano, 2003. "Regulation, productivity, and growth : OECD evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2944, The World Bank.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2004.
"Is Poland the next Spain?,"
Communities and Banking,
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "Is Poland the Next Spain?," NBER Working Papers 11045, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "Is Poland the Next Spain?," CEP Discussion Papers dp0668, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Caselli, Francesco & Tenreyro, Silvana, 2005. "Is Poland the Next Spain?," CEPR Discussion Papers 4877, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Francesco Caselli & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005. "Is Poland the next Spain?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3564, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton & Fabio Kanczuk, 2009.
"Plant-Size Distribution and Cross-Country Income Differences,"
in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2008, pages 243-272
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laura Alfaro & Andrew Charlton & Fabio Kanczuk, 2008. "Plant-Size Distribution and Cross-Country Income Differences," NBER Working Papers 14060, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wse:wpaper:67. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcin Owczarczuk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.