Cournot Competition and Spatial Agglomeration
Recent work suggest that Cournot oligopolists competing in a spatial model, with uniform distribution of consumers, agglomerate at the center of the market. This paper analyzes the robustness of this result with a general symmetric distribution of consumers.
|Date of creation:||04 Feb 1994|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||VVdecode (0.97 beta) then PKUNZIP (1.93 or later) to yield WordPerfect 5.1 file formatted for HP Inkjet.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neven, Damien J & Phlips, Louis, 1985.
"Discriminating Oligopolists and Common Markets,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(2), pages 133-49, December.
- Hwang, Hong & Mai, Chao-cheng, 1990. "Effects of Spatial Price Discrimination on Output, Welfare, and Location," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 567-75, June.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1980.
"A "Reciprocal Dumping" Model of International Trade,"
405, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Brander, James & Krugman, Paul, 1983. "A 'reciprocal dumping' model of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3-4), pages 313-321, November.
- James A. Brander & Paul Krugman, 1983. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," NBER Working Papers 1194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James Brander & Paul Krugman, 1982. "A 'Reciprocal Dumping' Model of International Trade," Working Papers 513, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Lederer, Phillip J & Hurter, Arthur P, Jr, 1986. "Competition of Firms: Discriminatory Pricing and Location," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 623-40, May.
- Holahan, William L, 1975. "The Welfare Effects of Spatial Price Discrimination," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 498-503, June.
- HAMILTON, Jonathan H. & THISSE, Jacques-FranÃ§ois & WESKAMP, Anita, .
"Spatial discrimination. Bertrand vs. Cournot in a model of location choice,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
846, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hamilton, Jonathan H. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois & Weskamp, Anita, 1989. "Spatial discrimination : Bertrand vs. Cournot in a model of location choice," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 87-102, February.
- Osborne, Martin J & Pitchik, Carolyn, 1987.
"Equilibrium in Hotelling's Model of Spatial Competition,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 911-22, July.
- Martin J Osborne & Carolyn Pitchik, 1985. "Equilibrium in Hotelling's Model of Spatial Competition," Department of Economics Working Papers 1985-02, McMaster University.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521305525 is not listed on IDEAS
- Norman, George, 1981. "Spatial Competition and Spatial Price Discrimination," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 97-111, January.
- Anderson, Simon P. & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1988. "Price discrimination in spatial competitive markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(2-3), pages 578-590, March.
- Anderson, Simon P & Neven, Damien J, 1991. "Cournot Competition Yields Spatial Agglomeration," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(4), pages 793-808, November.
- Martin J. Beckmann, 1976. "Spatial Price Policies Revisited," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 7(2), pages 619-630, Autumn.
- Greenhut, John G & Greenhut, M L, 1975. "Spatial Price Discrimination, Competition and Locational Effects," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 42(168), pages 401-19, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpmi:9402002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.